Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have had Bennie about a month. He is is a 5 gallon aquarium with a filter. Yesterday I noticed white spots near his gills. His behavior has not changed. I have attached a picture. Is this a fungus? I do weekly 30% water changes using a siphon vacuum.

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
It may be the beginning stages of fungus. My fish actually just got it as well. Look closely as you can (I put my fish in a small cup to see better) and try to tell if it's fuzzy, or just a color change.

More likely than not, it's probably fungus - if it's fuzzy at all, it's definately fungus.

·
Registered
210 Posts
They have medications for it you can get at most any pet store, or even walmart. Just don't use tetra fungus guard. Used it 3 times and it's never worked. If anything, it made it worse.

·
Registered
210 Posts
No problem. If you don't have one, though, I'd get a small adjustable filter and thermometer to stick outside the tank. Cold water can make their immune system weak and they'll get sick a lot easier. They should be in 76-82 degrees F waters.

·
Registered
34 Posts
No problem. If you don't have one, though, I'd get a small adjustable filter and thermometer to stick outside the tank. Cold water can make their immune system weak and they'll get sick a lot easier. They should be in 76-82 degrees F waters.

I am not worried abou the temp. I do want to get a bigger tank with a filter though. I wonder if having the filter will reduce the tank temp and I will also need a heater? Just something I will have to play by ear and deal with as it occurs i guess.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The filter shouldn't bother the temperature at all, but a just in case heater would do you well when the weather turns cold. Especially for large tanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts