Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
i got my betta as a gift (small tank 1.5 lit,changing whole water every 3 days,feeding twice a day with small balls of food total of 4 balls).
4 days ago some white spots started to show and after researching interntet i think its ich. I started warming the water to 84 and mr red :) came up from the bottom of the tank and its movement got back but from last night he doesnt eat :(, so i got him a drug for ich.

1- i'm still worried what should i do so he'll start eating? how long can he go without food?

2-what about salting the water?

·
Registered
66 Posts
1. You can't make him eat... You just have to wait and see when he does eat. I skip a day out of every week for feeding my betta because it cleans their system out. If u feed them too much they can get swim bladders disease. Bettas can live without food for 1-2 days comfortably.. If it gets to 4-5 days then thats very unhealthy. I'm sure ur betta will start eating as soon as he feels better so it's not to worry about. maybe he's just feeling a little full and doesn't wanna eat either.
Start skipping a day out of ur week to let his system clean out. Is it just one type of pellet food? I have 4 different types of food and cycle them so my betta doesn't get bored. Maybe try a different pellet food? DO NOT GO FOR TREATS! Treats such as brine shrimp, daphnia, and blood worms are yummy but also are not healthy! I give my betta a small amount of those every two weeks.

2. You can get somehting called aquarium salt and it's used to prevent and cure almost all illnesses of betta. Go to ur local fish store and get aquarium salt.

Also if u really think it such, which white patches don't sound like I h to me it sounds more of like a bacterial infection, you can get a aquari-sol to treat it

·
Registered
153 Posts
Do the white spots look like salt, if so they are ich, if not, like Squishay said, it might be bacterial. If I may ask what medication did you purchase for the white spots?

Squishay- the AQ salt can affect their internal organs after prolonged use, members tend to have differing opinions on this though. Bettas can also go for about a week without eating, no one's really sure as to how long they can hold out and I don't think anyone really wants to find out :)

You may want to post in the Diseases and Emergencies forum instead. Just a hint.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Please don't use table salt, Aquarium Salt only, and your Local Fish Store or Petsmart/Petco will have this. I don't think I can help you with the eating problems.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've heard it can but as you said there is different views on it. When I said prevent I meant like introducing a new betta to a tank I would put aq salt in it as It does relieve stress, not all the time though

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm not entirely sure it relieves stress, but it does prevent diseases to a certain extent (the salinity helps to keep the germs away).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.