Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,521 Posts
Hi there, sorry the little one isn't doing well. It possible that he may have some sort of bacterial infection.
Is Seachem Kanaplex available to you? It's a more broad spectrum antibiotic.

Also, unless there's something really wrong with your water, you can just use tap water. Filters sometimes strip out valuable minerals that they need for health. You should also get used to changing his water with a gravel vacuum so you can get the debris out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I can look for it online. Do you recommend I try the meds I already purchased? (It arrives Saturday). What are your thoughts for the reason of his sickness? Thank you!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
Super Moderator
2,521 Posts
You can try the Maracyn-2, it's a good antibiotic, you should have time to give him one round then a couple of days without meds before trying the Kanaplex.
The Kanaplex and Maracyn are both antibiotics, the Maracyn is minocycline based and is effective at treating many forms of gram negative bacteria (especially internal infections), however, due to it's age, many strains of bacteria have become resistant. Kanaplex is kanamycin based, is effective at treating many forms of gram negative bacteria (especially internal infections) but is more broad spectrum as it is newer. It is also effective at treating fungal infections which typically set in as a secondary infection if the fish has any necrotic tissue.
Essentially, they both target many of the same problems, the Kanaplex is just a bit more effective.

I suspect he's had this for a while, and his immune system might have gotten to the point where it was compromised enough for the infection to get a good foothold to rapidly progress. What worries me is the dark band between the two white spots which looks to be either atrophied or the white spots retaining fluid making it look that way. The white in those two spots makes me suspect an internal infection coupled with some kind of deficiency (which is why I also recommended not filtering the water).

·
Registered
34 Posts
If the white seems to be fuzzy, it could be ick, which is a parasite. It could also be a type of fungus. However, some bettas will just randomly change color which is a genetic trait. If your betta is floating on his side or has trouble swimming, then this could be an issue with the swim bladder. My betta sometimes gets constipated and floats on her side. After a few days of fasting, she goes back to normal. But if your fish is struggling to swim up to the surface you should remove some water. If your fish can't swim down, you should put in plants for him to rest on. Silk plants are best. Plastic will work if there's no sharp edges. I use real plants called anubias nana and let them float on the surface.

As long as you keep the water clean and warm (75-80F), sometimes less is best when it comes to bettas. If you change too much, you'll stress them out. And treating with medications is really only good if you know what is wrong. Incorrect meds can make the betta worse.

Whenever my betta starts acting strange, my first reaction is to use Indian Almond Leaves. They turn the water brown because of the tannins in them. They're supposed to help with stress and give them a slime coating which could help with physical injuries.

Since your betta is prone to fin biting, the water must always stay very clean or fin rot can set in. I had a delta tail who always chewed his tail to a nub. He lived for like 3 years with no tail but you'll always have to monitor yours to make sure it doesn't start going black at the edges

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thank you! I started the Maracyn-2 yesterday and will not conduct any water changes. I'll order the Kanaplex so I can try to give him that after the Maracyn, how long should I wait in between? I don't personally see the dark band, I think that's his original blue color and the white spots just happened to form in between but I could be wrong...

The white spots aren't fuzzy so I've deemed out ick (for now)... why is he fin biting? Does that mean he physically bites his fins and why? Can I do anything to help that? The water is crystal clear but I read the Maracyn-2 might make it cloudy so I'll try not to panic and change anything. :) He's back to swimming around and eating, happy fish minus his physical appearance! I believe it has to be some type of fungus though because I don't think a color change would look like this and change his fin colors to white etc.

I have plastic plants right now but there doesn't seem to be sharp edges (I checked and make sure they aren't pressed up against the glass too much either because he tends to like to swim in between things which could cut a portion of his little fins).

Thanks for all the help, I'll keep everyone updated!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I also purchased some flakes for him as treats but haven't tried them yet and another member mentioned bloodworms but I've only found freeze dried online, is that good?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Neither flakes nor freeze dried are recommended. Frozen blood worms, brine shrimp and mysis shrimp are best, along with pellets. You can get them at your local fish store. My guy LOVES the blood worms and brine shrimp. Like RussellThe ShihTsu advises, you can defrost a cube of the frozen food with a little bit of tank water and keep it in the fridge for 5-6 days.

·
Super Moderator
2,521 Posts
High quality flakes aren't bad, they just tend to foul the water because of the way these little guys eat. Freeze dried should only be used sparingly. Frozen is best overall.
We can assess him after he gets done with the round of Maracyn. Usually you want to give him about 48 hours between, the longer the better as meds are hard on the fish.
If he's still ailing, Kanaplex would be next as it's is broad spectrum. If it were fungus, it would have a more cottony appearance, but Kanaplex helps target fungus as well.

Fin biting is a hit or miss thing that you will have to try. It can range from the decor in his tank to the size of his tank or him just being bored.
My saffron started biting his fins the night my heat and his heater went out at the same time and I had to change his heater at 1am in the morning. After that he bit only the top 1/3 of his caudal and then a year later all of a sudden stopped.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'll look into frozen food for him! We are on Day 4 and then Day 6 the directions say to conduct a 25% water change. Einstein is still happy as can be, eating his 3-4 pellets (he seemed hungry so I sometimes give him 4), swimming up to me, and his white spots seem to not be spreading so that's a good sign! I ordered the Kanaplex and will wait 48 hours to see how he's doing, what should be the determining factor in trying Kanaplex? Or should I try it regardless after a few days (I know Veloran mentioned meds are tough on these little guys).

If it's boredom, what do you all recommend? I haven't found a good "toy" for them besides a floating log but the reviews say the paint chips and it has hard edges etc.

Right now we are undergoing a fireplace renovation which is loud so I moved Einstein to my bathroom this morning so he doesn't get as much noise. Hopefully the move wasn't too stressful but I felt it was better than being in our living room. He should be able to move back to the kitchen tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
976 Posts
Some people say that a pingpong ball is good entertainment for them ive never tried that though so I cant confirm or deny it.

·
Super Moderator
19,479 Posts
Not everything works for every Betta. You just have to experiment until you find something. Bottle caps, mirrors, training to swim through drinking straw circles are other things some Betta find intriguing. Just don't play until the Betta loses interest. Leave 'em wanting more.

And use laser pointers sparingly...if at all. Studies have shown that they can have harmful psychological effects on animals.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have used mirrors before to try and get him to flare but he refused, I might try some of those things in the future, but right now if it is stress causing the biting I dont want to stress him more.

·
Super Moderator
2,521 Posts
I'll look into frozen food for him! We are on Day 4 and then Day 6 the directions say to conduct a 25% water change. Einstein is still happy as can be, eating his 3-4 pellets (he seemed hungry so I sometimes give him 4), swimming up to me, and his white spots seem to not be spreading so that's a good sign! I ordered the Kanaplex and will wait 48 hours to see how he's doing, what should be the determining factor in trying Kanaplex? Or should I try it regardless after a few days (I know Veloran mentioned meds are tough on these little guys).

If it's boredom, what do you all recommend? I haven't found a good "toy" for them besides a floating log but the reviews say the paint chips and it has hard edges etc.

Right now we are undergoing a fireplace renovation which is loud so I moved Einstein to my bathroom this morning so he doesn't get as much noise. Hopefully the move wasn't too stressful but I felt it was better than being in our living room. He should be able to move back to the kitchen tomorrow. :)
After the treatment, post a couple pictures of him. It's good that the white is no longer spreading, I'm also looking for his form to become more streamline.
If he's active and eating, not showing signs of distress, we can wait it out. Many times, with illnesses, they just need a little kickstart to help their immune systems get over that hump.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Ok treatment ended yesterday and I completed a 25% water change. Einstein seems happy as always and maybe it’s just me but I think some color is coming back, little more pink on his head. I’ll wait a couple days and see how he does before I try any more treatment. What should I look for specifically? Thanks everyone!

21 - 40 of 51 Posts