Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this morning I noticed that my betta fish has a white cottonish growth near his right eye. This is brand new and seems to have grown overnight. Is this columnaris? Or something else? How do I treat this? Thank you in advance.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5.5
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? No, I live in a tropical country
What temperature is your tank? approx 76-77
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? no

Food:
What food brand do you use? store bought mini pellets (no brand) and UHT mosquito larvae
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets
Freeze-dried? no
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? once or twice a day, usually 8-10 mini pellets. so far, treated mosquito larvaes twice (3-4 pieces)

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? she just moved into a new tank 2 days ago, so no water change yet. prior to this new tank, she was in a temporary home with no filter and I changed the water once every 1-2 days
What percentage of water did you change? 50-75% (in her old home)
What is the source of your water? tap water, treated with API stress coat
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? have not cleaned the substrate in the new tank yet
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? I used Fritz Zyme 7 when I moved her to the new tank to speed up the cycle

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0.5
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7
Hardness (GH): 30
Alkalinity (KH): 0

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Today
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? colors seem to have faded somewhat, and there is a white cottonish growth near the eye (see pics)
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? When we moved her to the new tank she kept hanging around the side / corner of the tank. today it seems she is exploring a little more. she tends to prefer hanging around the left side of the tank, away from the filter. am using a hang on back filter that came with the tank, and the water bottle method to reduce the flow
Is your Betta still eating? yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? not yet
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? no
How long have you owned your Betta? 3 weeks +
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? no
Fin Pet supply Fish Fish supply Tail
Fin Beak Fish Marine biology Wing

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi, first I wanted to say you dont want any nitrite in your tank as it can be deadly to your fish and would recommend doing water changes until that is back down to 0. You can do them 4 hours apart.
As far as the illness, I personally don't know much about Columnaris. However, this could be just a fungal infection. I've copied the suggested treatment from this site.

True Fungal Infections
•Symptoms: White cottony like patches on its body or head, Lethargic, Not eating, Clamped Fins, Pale Colors
•Treatment: Conservative: Lower temperature below 76* F and treat with Aq.Salt at 1 tsp/gal. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Replace accurate amount of salt following water changes. Never continue salt treatments for more than 10 days. Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective after 10 days or you see the fungus spread rapidly during the course of conservative treatment, move to medication. Add “Fungus Eliminator” by Jungle, API Erythromycin, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn II. Change water every day and add a new dose of the same medication. Continue until all fungus has disappeared.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, first I wanted to say you dont want any nitrite in your tank as it can be deadly to your fish and would recommend doing water changes until that is back down to 0. You can do them 4 hours apart.
As far as the illness, I personally don't know much about Columnaris. However, this could be just a fungal infection. I've copied the suggested treatment from this site.

True Fungal Infections
•Symptoms: White cottony like patches on its body or head, Lethargic, Not eating, Clamped Fins, Pale Colors
•Treatment: Conservative: Lower temperature below 76* F and treat with Aq.Salt at 1 tsp/gal. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Replace accurate amount of salt following water changes. Never continue salt treatments for more than 10 days. Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective after 10 days or you see the fungus spread rapidly during the course of conservative treatment, move to medication. Add “Fungus Eliminator” by Jungle, API Erythromycin, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn II. Change water every day and add a new dose of the same medication. Continue until all fungus has disappeared.
Thanks, appreciate the reply

1 - 3 of 3 Posts