Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought some live plants this weekend. I got some anacharis. Is this a good setup for them. There is no way my fish can suffocate in them or anything right. Any tips on keeping them would be great too. So far they are doing good

·
Registered
145 Posts
Live plants are great for keeping the water quality up!

DO rinse your plants and quarantine them before putting them in your tank! Plants often carry bacteria/parasites in the worst case and snails in the best.

Keep an eye on your water parameters, and take a look at the plant guide sticky here:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76428

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got them on Saturday. I changed their water and put in Prime. I have been doing this since today. I added them to the tank already and Im about to add in my new betta. Is that okay or should I rinse them again?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I personally have had a bad experience with a fish getting ich after adding a pet store plant, so I will always do the full 2+ week quarantine.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
awww bummer. So should I just do another water change in my tank and remove the plants?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would float the plants in a separate container for a few weeks, yeah, and change the water in your main tank. But you could wait and see if others have ideas on how you can shorten the wait time. I know how you feel! Waiting is no fun :)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha yeah I was all excited with my plants but I guess me and him have to wait to enjoy them. My rufio died of Ich and I dont want to go through that again. SO i would rather not risk it. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Sorry don't want to scare you but i am very paranoid with plants from the stores. That is why i am using spider plant that my mom and my friend have. One time i saw that pet store sold the plants from the same tank the fish is in. Right after that i begin to use spider plant. So i would really do what mathkid recommended. I hope it good preventative .....So sorry that you have to do it but better save then sorry.

I love his tank and i love the plant. My issue I don’t know if it enough for betta to swim freely. May be you can move them on one side a little bit. I don’t know it just me I always paranoid about something LOL.

Good luck with new betta keep us update :)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I didnt even think about diseases until Mathkid said something. Good thing he did! I love my new little guy and don't want him to suffer from the same thing Rufio did. Should I do anything to the plants like wash with chlorox or something else. how do I know when they are ready to be put in the tank.

I know its kind of a lot of plant for a small tank. Im gonna give some of the plants to my sister who just got a betta too :)

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I've got an anacharis in my 5.5 gallon. Their great plants. Be aware they are faster growers xD
I've already had to trim and plant the trimmings in my 75 gallon. Well atleast I won't be needing to buy plants for the 75 gallon/by the time we get the full hood it should be all cycled/ready for new fish.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have heard that anacharis is sensitive to bleach dips - but YMMV (Google for [anacharis bleach dip]). Some people have done it and it's fine, others have had their plants melt. If you do it, I'd go on the safe side and do the dilute version (1:19 bleach to water) and only do it for 30-60 seconds.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Oh no no no bleach on the plants. OMG sorry we get you paranoid with plants. I feel bad. It not even funny. I really don't have this problem because i am using my plants. I can try to mail plant to you if you want. It very popular plant. Everyone has it and it easy to grow. I am sure you can find it everywhere. When i get back my car i can try to mail it to you.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay no clorox on the plants! No I just have them in water right now how can I make them "safe" for my tank though if not clorox?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well, certainly regular chlorinated water kills some stuff. That's why we have chlorine in our water in the first place... Not sure how sensitive plants are to it, but I think not very?

Other things, like ich, only survive if they have fish to attach onto. So if you keep them in quarantine (at aquarium temperatures so it goes through its life cycle) and rinse once in a while for a few weeks, they'll die off.

I've never tried using potassium permanganate (which is supposed to be less harsh on plants than bleach but tricky to work with). I did do a bleach dip on my next set of plants (anubias, water sprite, water wisteria, and pennywort), but it was super quick and dilute, and none of those plants are supposed to be bleach sensitive. Mostly I just quarantined them... and a couple of snails still got through.

To be fair, a lot of people have used store plants with just a quick rinse and been fine! ANHEL and I are just paranoid... Maybe someone else will chime in with an easy way to disinfect =)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Plants should be quarantined like any other addition to the aquarium, 1-3 weeks. For disease jack the temperature up to speed up their life cycle.

For snails ... just accept the fact that they likely come with plants. I personally don't have problems with them, they won't explode in population unless you over freed and provide the food to support a massive population.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
So what is the best way to do? Take them out and quarantine them and completely change the water? So i guess tank should be washed with hot water and Karebear can put betta in the tank with new water without plants.

Then after you quarantine them you can put plants in. Betta will be fine without plant don't worry about it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If the plants have already been added to the aquarium, it is too late to quarantine. Just keep a close eye on your fish for a week or two for signs of disease.

If they have not been added to the aquarium, just place them in a bucket of conditioned water with a heater, or a quarantine tank. Provide a daylight bulb, or window, so they don't die from a lack of light.

·
Registered
145 Posts
They were added to the intended aquarium, but the betta hasn't yet been introduced... is the tank "contaminated"?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay. I have never quarantined anything before because I have only had a betta in a tank with nothing else that live. How do I know if a plant is safe to put in, what do I look for in the plants? It doesn't look like there are any snails.

I added them in to the tank yesterday. Its a brand new tank setup. Betta was never in the tank when I added the plants. Then I removed them because I was adviced to quarintine them. I took them out put them in bucket and added conditioner and a light. I washed the tank completely conditioned it and then added my betta.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts