Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considerations: similar colors, dragon scaling, overall quality.

Male to match with:

Females:

#4 is my favorite as she has white, red, dragon scaling, blue, and a tiny bit of cellophane. I do lament over the green and lack of baby blue however. Please share your thoughts with me!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Greentea how many fish do you own exactly? And do you have any that aren't drop dead gorgeous?!

I feel like he'd look great with any of the females, but I agree that #4 would make a striking match. They're all lovely though...you definitely couldn't go wrong with any of them!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a sorority of 10 as well as 3 giant males right now, 2 regular sized males (one of which is old and on deaths door). I'll be getting 4 regular sized males and a few more females to add to my sorority!

My original plan was to breed giant marbles, and regular hmpk marbles but I've accepted I don't have the space to jar giant males in my apartment. I will most like be selling 2 of my giant males as well as 1 half giant female and 1 giant female to a member I met here who has his own house and a strong desire to breed giants like I did. I'm going to focus my collection on who I can spawn.

And no... they're all gorgeous ;) I spend a lot of time picking them and am really picking about it. It annoys me sometimes, I'll see a really unique or pretty fish but if body, fins, rays, etc aren't right, I can't do it.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I love them all! They're so amazing. I'm seriously loving the koi look!!! Thanks a lot! :p
The white one makes me kinda hesitant though, just because of her eyes seeming to be clouded. I've got a platinum male with the same thing and he can't seem to see very well. Does she have any issues? Odin seems to be on the partially blind side, poor guy lol
You can kinda see it on his right eye.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I noticed that as well. If you look at the other two females lying down though, it looks like they're all "looking down", know what I mean? So it's hard to tell. I think if I was going to get white, I'd also want the scales totally opaque white, hers are only opaque in some places.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Any of them would be nice. I would go with one or four personally though.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think he'd look striking with any of them, but in my opinion especially with the second girl or the fourth girl. These two both share similar colors and dragon scaling with him, and they have nice fins (although by the looks of it so do the other girls, haha).~ :3

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. I just bought this marble girl. I think she is perfect for him! I will also be getting #4 previously posted. Might have to start a second sorority! They will have to come in the next shipment though, the male seller forgot to add the female -_- yay shipping costs..

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well maybe in the future we can meet up! Tisia and I did and we get along awesome and do things like combine shipping on fish. Maybe some day we'll have a Canada/PNW meet up. We'd like to make a site for our spawns and fish as well as have some sort of northwest chapter. I love them too. There a white/blue boy to match her, thinking about it...

·
Registered
26 Posts
That marble girl is just gorgeous! As far as the girls on page 1, I was totally eyeing #2 earlier. XD Love her. I wish I had the money to spend on a nice aquabid fish. Female #4 matches your boy beautifully. Her dorsal and tail look a bit wonky though.

You have some seriously pretty fish, Greentea!

·
Super Moderator
6,072 Posts
My favorite is the marble female (last) - she has the best form out of all the females.
Next choice would be female #2 because her caudal has 2 rays and last would be the white female.

You can produce a few clean white dragons from non clean pairs (but unlikely with that male). Getting clean light colored dragon is difficult. Only a few would turn out "clean". You have to inbreed them and later cross to another "clean" color.

Since you mentioned overall quality, your male doesn't look too good (sorry). His dorsal leans backwards and his caudal is sort of tilted upwards (not straight) If you have another, a better balanced male - switch them.

You can try him and hope his genes are recessive towards the female. But if you want to be certain, I'd use a different male.

·
Banned
774 Posts
Do you know of the history of the fish you are breeding? I have found out that you cant know what you will get unless you know what colors your fish come from. I read a ton about genetics yet non of my spawns had the outcome that I expected. Had I known the fish that went into my fishes bloodlines I would have been able to see the probability for the colors I actually got. I bred two steel fish and got blacks, black marbles, steel and reds multies and reds, red and black butterfly's. :shock: I may have gotten like 4 or 5 actual full steel fry. So if you are breeding for color I would be sure that you either breed siblings or be sure they share the same genetic background.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm familiar with the background of the females presented here, not the male though. I'm having a hard time communicating with the breeder.

Indjo I know the males form isn't the best, but I love his coloring. Color-wise, he is my dream betta. That's why I want to choose the best female form wise, hopefully can eradicate this. I wasn't necessarily hoping for clean marbles either, I like them sort of messy looking with lots of colors.

I contacted the AB user profish, and I bought a few of his marbles. Then he offered me a really spectacular male who sold for 100+ a few weeks ago, but the buyer never got in touch with him, so now he is mine! These are the new males I will get in, he's also giving me two more females for free that I can pick from. I'll post the females photos here when I get them so you all can compare and contrast.

This came at a really good time. I lost an entire spawn yesterday and felt hopeless and like throwing in the towel. We agreed upon a more than reasonable price for 6 great marbles and I feel great about things again. Betta people are some awesome people!

·
Registered
462 Posts
That first male... -mops up drool- ANYWAYS! Sorry to hear about your spawn Greentea, but you are not to give up! You hear? You have way too many beautiful fish to do that. I have faith that you're just having a hard time starting off and things will take a turn for the better soon. When you're ready, I can't wait to see more spawn logs from you! ;-)

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Badjer you're so cute. You always have something nice to say to me, it always makes me smile. Thanks :3

1 - 20 of 35 Posts