Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years I have kept bettas alive they are very easy fish and this is in bowls

I got a 55 gallon tank for my sorority it’s fully cycled, but fish just keep dying I don’t understand it extremely frustrating

I love Elephant ear bettas, so I decided to buy one even though it was expensive and it just died today I spent way to much on that fish for it to just die a week later

and this keeps happening

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I’m sorry your bettas aren’t doing well. Could you fill out this form and include some pictures of your bettas and aquarium? We will do our best to help you out!
In the meantime, I would recommend reading this thread about sororities, it has a lot of helpful information!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 55 gallons
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
Neon tetras
Snails
And Cory catfish

Food: new life spectrum betta pellets, and aqueon flakes

What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Both
Freeze-dried? Once a week bloodworms
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? I feed 5-7 days a week and as much as they can eat in a minute or two

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of water did you change? 30 percent
What is the source of your water? Tap water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Aqueon conditioner

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
pH: 7.6
Hardness (GH):
Alkaline

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can get one soon I’m 5 hours away from home for competitive cheer

my dad and brother are taking care of them

all their doing is feeding them 😂 I wouldn’t trust them to do much else

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’ve lost 3 in the last week or two and I have two acting weird right now just not very active

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My females killed my male betta overnight which is strange because my girls are not killing each other

And my male was the friendliest betta I’ve ever seen he never chased other fish

I don’t think he could get away he’s was 4 years old and really slow I’m a little upset I should have just left him in his bowl

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know many people successfully keeping males with females and my male wasn’t even trying to breed if it is a friendly male it’s no different than keeping females together

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know someone with 3 males and 14 girls all in the same tank and they have lived this way for months now

·
Registered
365 Posts
I didnt mean to offend I was just saying that I have an all girl sorority and I have lost 2 females. All I was saying was there has even been males and females injured with experienced breeders. Not that you were trying to breed these fish are not always predictable when together. One minute they are swimming around just fine next minute someone is injured or even dead. Several people have given up sororities because of it. I want an EE female and a candyor galaxy female for my sorority but since everyone right now is getting along , I’m afraid to upset the apple cart and won’t do it. I’m truly sorry about the loss of your male.

·
Registered
365 Posts
View attachment 1031010 .
I was able to take a picture
You have a very nice big tank. I would add a lot more plants. There needs to be more coverage and sight lines distraction. So one can zigzag through and the others decide not to follow. I have a girl that looks just like your one girl. She is now my alpha girl. Here is her picture

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes I’ve actually thought of being done with sorority’s there just to difficult it was easy at first I just had 2 females in a 10 gallon tank I know thats not recommended but it luckily worked for me

I diddnt expect my females to kill him though hopefully they don’t start killing each other
I don’t think it helped that he was so old and couldn’t get away

if this ends up not working I might have to rehome some of the girls and hopefully they don’t keep getting sick it’s strange how they slowly keep dying, one at a time

I might turn it into a goldfish tank or a Oscar tank but I need to do research first but I’m waiting to see if things get better with my sorority, from what I know there’s no aggression but that seems to change at times very fast unfortunately!

·
Registered
365 Posts
You have such a nice huge tank to have your sorority. My is a 20 gallon sorority/ community tank and I have 4 girls in it. I know they say odd numbers but that’s what I did have but one of my 5 got dropsy so I lost here. I just think your main problem with it is you just need more plants. And especially at the top. RTST had posted for me this bamboo floating plant you can get at chewy and I think Amazon. I would have to go through my post to find it unless she gets on here and post it. But I went to petsmart to get something like it because I had a bare tank like your at first and I wanted the coverage right away and didn’t want to wait for the shipment because with COVID everything was so late on arriving. But I would see about that thank. I really think it saved the lives of the rest of my girls. I bought these Lilly bulbs from APF and it has gone crazy. my girls swim in and out of the shoots so they are occupied by doing it and rarely pay attention to each other. The only time the are all together is when I feed them and they come charging for food. Lol

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yes I’ve actually thought of being done with sorority’s there just to difficult it was easy at first I just had 2 females in a 10 gallon tank I know thats not recommended but it luckily worked for me

I diddnt expect my females to kill him though hopefully they don’t start killing each other
I don’t think it helped that he was so old and couldn’t get away

if this ends up not working I might have to rehome some of the girls and hopefully they don’t keep getting sick it’s strange how they slowly keep dying, one at a time

I might turn it into a goldfish tank or a Oscar tank but I need to do research first but I’m waiting to see if things get better with my sorority, from what I know there’s no aggression but that seems to change at times very fast unfortunately!
When and if you do decide on gold fish I saw the really neat set ups online with fancy goldfish. I did research because I was going to set one up in my basement/family room. i googled goldfish tank set ups and some are so gorgeous.

·
Super Moderator
1,143 Posts
I know someone with 3 males and 14 girls all in the same tank and they have lived this way for months now
Measure "success." A person that puts this combination is measuring success based on if they have killed each other YET. Experienced fish keepers measures their success on longevity (in years not months) and health and happiness of the fish. Regardless of what the owner thinks of this tank it is at the very least under extreme stress. Her fish, even if they don't fight to death will die of disease. This is not a natural way for them to live and it's cruel in my opinion. Throwing a bunch of fish that you know won't do well together into a tank and calling it "successful" doesn't mean they are amazing fish keepers, it means they are arrogant and put their own wants before what's best for the fish.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts