Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
If there were diseases wouldn’t my neon tetras and other fish be dying?

I found another dead female and I put 2 sick girls in quarantine and I’m really frustrated that it’s not working I just spent $500 on fish and the tank I’m wondering if your right!?
Because my bettas who live alone live years usually

one of my youngest betta was only a year when it died, but in my sorority I’ve only had most of these fish at most 1week

if this continues to not work, does anyone have any ideas for stocking the tank?? What fish are compatible with my neons, And Cory catfish

and also the fish that are not bettas are doing great and not dying

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
One of The girls in quarantine just died

and I’ve also tested the water again it’s still safe and the same

·
Registered
176 Posts
This is classic sorority failure. The water is fine.. The other fish are fine. Bettas dying one after the other is a pretty clear sign that they are stressed and fighting. This often leads to death.

A successful sorority is a misnomer. Temporarily, it will seem fine. It can absolutely fail at any given time.

Either way, if you want a sorority, you need ay least 50% plant coverage of the entire tank and many hiding spots too.

Never house males and females together.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
They are definitely fight some I took one of my breeder quality bettas out because of torn fins I didn’t want it to get worse

several have clamped fins and stress stripes

What should I do? I’m thinking of taking them all out soon then giving them a quarantine and finding them homes

·
Super Moderator
22,487 Posts
As noted, success is rated in years; not months. Sadly, many people claim success far too soon and lull others into thinking whatever they're attempting will be a-okay. And they never come back when it fails. Even the member who wrote the "Successful Sorority" sticky no longer supports the idea.

Your females are most likely dying, as noted, from compromised immune systems stemming from stress.

Whether you continue with a sorority or go with a community tank, you need at least 50% planting. Unlike Saltwater fish, Tropicals do not live in barren environments. They need cover to feel secure. Once you plant properly a 55 makes a great community tank.

Good luck!

·
Registered
362 Posts
That would probably be best unless you want individual tanks. Once they start on one they usually find that one weak and they will be vulnerable. I tried to reintroduce my one girl when her fins healed back and as soon as I turned her loose, My beta girl went right after her and injured her. I got her out as soon as I could because I had to grab a net under the tank. It would have been a blood bath my girl that wasn’t afraid of anything was hiding and it was a sad sight. I had her in a container to acclimate just because this tank was cooler than her other tank so I didn’t just dump her in but it was like moonpie was circling like a shark just waiting for a weak fish to come by. I would move them put Indian Almond leaves or tea in to calm them and help if they have wounds. Sororities are hard and if you are just wanting fish in the big tank and no others I would get community fish since you already have some. For example I would get a large group of neons and corys and find a fish as a focal point like an angel or a reg not dwarf gouramis and harlequins, and danios. You can’t put goldfish in with the tropical community and they are very dirty fish or I should say they leave a lot of waste. If you decide to redone them I would let people know they should be separated and not in a sorority because they have already gone through this stress and it may kill them. I wish you the best on the choice you make.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I did separate them all except for three who have lived together their whole life, and I put them in a ten gallon together, it’s the same tank they have lived in for a long time, so hopefully they are fine

I put the others in bowls and I find it weird they like their bowls better than the 55 gallon tank

And the three like their ten gallon better

·
Registered
176 Posts
Given that they were all just stressed/fighting/dying, it is anything but surprising that they prefer a small space alone.

Please rehome the bettas unless you can keep them in individual tanks.

Even the 3 that did live together in the 10 gallon may now fight.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
All are divided in in a 10 gallon tank I only have 5 left and eventually they will have more space

my mom won’t allow me to rehome my fish anyways, and most of my fish have lived permanently in 1-2 gallon live planted bowls

I don’t permanently keep them in the tiny bowls

I also found out I wasn’t testing the water the right way and my water was 2 ppm Ammonia which is way too high I’m doing a 50% water change tomorrow then I will wait a couple days and do another 50% water change

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I did the water change and it’s now .50 ppm ammonia

The tank isn’t going to be a betta sorority anymore I got 3 cat fish I can’t remember the type they get up to 5-6 inches

when and how large of a water change should I do now to get rid of the ammonia

The tank isn’t cycled it a new tank and since I wasn’t testing the correct way I thought it was safe

·
Registered
176 Posts
Even the smallest cat fish need 10-15 gallons per fish with heavy filtration (typically capable of filtering twice your tank size) and heavy plant density. Most varieties of cat fish prefer groups of 5-7. They are quite sensitive to water quality so you will struggle with them in an uncycled tank.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I have a tank almost double what they need so they should be fine and I got better filter, and I’ve actually heard the opposite that they were hardy! But I will test and change water so that the tank can stay stable

·
Registered
102 Posts
For years I have kept bettas alive they are very easy fish and this is in bowls

I got a 55 gallon tank for my sorority it’s fully cycled, but fish just keep dying I don’t understand it extremely frustrating

I love Elephant ear bettas, so I decided to buy one even though it was expensive and it just died today I spent way to much on that fish for it to just die a week later

and this keeps happening
I love those fish too! I have 2 of the same fish. I have my fish in a 29 gallon. One went missing tho. 😢 do u have these? A heater 78-80 degrees, a sponge filter, hiding spaces, and are the other fish killing them? And how many fish do u have in there and what gender are they?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
They had a heater that was 80 degrees and no ick

the tank was not cycled yet and had a ammonia spike which I didn’t realize because I wasn’t waiting for the test colors to develop, I learned the hard way

a 1-2 were killed but that was my fault because it wasn’t densely planted

·
Registered
102 Posts
There are some test strips that come back immediately. I use some my self. If you don’t have a filter clean the tank at least twice a week or more. And wipe off the algae a bit but leave some for the live plants if u have any. 😊

21 - 40 of 41 Posts