Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my double tail male 1 1/2 days ago. I've tried feeding him pellets and flakes, but he won't eat. I think I've done some research and learned they're carnivores, but my pellets contain shrimp. I'm afraid he won't eat, although it's barely been two days. I think from the store I've got him from they fed him frozen, or food that are not pellets or flakes, so maybe it's a diet change for him? I'm not sure if I should try to feed him more pellets and maybe he'll get used to it or just buy some more appropriate food. I would appreciate any feedback or advice :D

·
Registered
1) 25 litres, Espresso the betta,2) 60 litres with 2 blue rams,3) my cat!
3,197 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forum! If i were you, I'd try soaking his pellets in garlic juice (posted a video bellow), or buy him some frozen, but even if he doesn't eat, its normal! Sometimes fish are stressed and don't eat food for the first 2-3 days!
And we'd love some photos of him at the betta picture section! I hope he starts eating soon!!

Reactions: Hania41806

·
Super Moderator
23,872 Posts
New Betta often do not eat. It could be they are stressed by a new environment or they do not recognize what you are feeding as food. They've been fed live, frozen or freeze dried so pellets are foreign to them For these reasons it is best to do nothing extraordinary to get them to eat. And if he is taking the pellets into his mouth and spitting out he is eating the bits that are scraped off by his tiny teeth. Rest assured, he will not starve himself to death.

Offer him a pellet. If he ignores it or spits it out remove with a clean turkey baster. Repeat process three or four times per day. In most cases it takes less than a week but I've had them go two before they got the idea. As suggested above, you can soak in garlic juice. I'd give him a week before trying it.

BTW, because of their body shape, DT are more prone to bloat than other body types. Once he's eating, feed him 3-5 small meals of three pellets instead of one or two large ones. Use freeze-dried sparingly as treats-on (as suggested by manufacturer). Frozen Daphnia once a week is a good way to help prevent constipation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts