Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did 100% water change on my 10 gallon, filtered tank. It's been less that 24 hours and the tank is already cloudy to the point where it's hard to find the fishes!! What's happening?!? 1 betta, 2 neon tetras, and 2 cory cats. I'm getting more fish and a larger tank next week, to allow for the cories and bettas to school, but I'm afraid the same thing is gonna happen?! I did a double dose on stress coat because I just added new fish, could that be the issue? Help!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also just added a new decor piece which I rinsed like hell and soaked in water for 24 hours before placing it in the tank. So I don't see how that could be the issue?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Is the tank new?

·
Registered
547 Posts
So you've had the betta and gravel in the 10g? How long? Has your tank cycled?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hmm then I am not sure. Mine is a tiny bit cloudy but mine hasn't been cycled yet. Have you vacuumed the gravel?

·
Registered
579 Posts
With the given information provided, it sounds as though you have had a bacterial bloom (adding new filter and fish caused changes in water chemistry etc).. Which is all part of the cycling process and should clear up within the next couple of days, either that or it is just particulates in the water that got stirred up during the water change and have yet to settle.. My advice to you is to leave the tank alone for the next 24 hrs and allow things to settle a bit and then get back to us with any further questions..

In the mean time:
Check out this link, and while it is geared towards Betta care, the aquarium maintenance and cycling advice, pretty much applies to all aquariums...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I figure it out! Today while doing some cleaning, I noticed all the dust I wiped up was flesh colored. Someone had been doing stage make up in the bathroom attached to my bedroom where my tank is. It was makeup powder in the air settling in the tank. Horrible!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My tank did something similar as well. I bought a brand new 10 gallon tank the other day and filled it with fresh water around 77 degrees and it was perfectly fine. I put my betta and catfish in the water and the water was perfectly fine for a few hours until it started getting cloudy. I use the filter cube with carbon and filter floss so i was afraid the filter was bad or something. i woke up this morning and saw a white-ish glow around my tank decorations. following my discovery, i searched it up earlier and found out it was the bacterial bloom. i'm not touching anything. i'm going to just let everything settle.

·
Registered
579 Posts
My tank did something similar as well. I bought a brand new 10 gallon tank the other day and filled it with fresh water around 77 degrees and it was perfectly fine. I put my betta and catfish in the water and the water was perfectly fine for a few hours until it started getting cloudy. I use the filter cube with carbon and filter floss so i was afraid the filter was bad or something. i woke up this morning and saw a white-ish glow around my tank decorations. following my discovery, i searched it up earlier and found out it was the bacterial bloom. i'm not touching anything. i'm going to just let everything settle.
Yes, they are normal and usually signal the beginning of a cycle in new tanks...

·
Registered
2 Posts
the algae is still growing on the decor for some reason, however i did just buy an algae eater and a bottom feeder to help stabilize the conditions of the tank and prevent any of the food or fecal matter to cause the tank levels to rise. im buying a pH test so i can make sure everything is in good condition but the cloudiness has seemed to go away slightly

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.