Betta Fish Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
60 litres with 2 blue rams, my cat!
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I haven't updated cause I was holiday for ten days. A friend would come and feed my fish. I came home to see the filter not working, and really few water left in the tank. Filled it up right away. Fish are perfectly fine. I was so relieved to see them alive!!

You remember I had a pot floating, right? Both fish wanted the pot. So I added a second one. Now I hardly ever see the fish. Both love chilling in their pots😍 But I can't really see them when they're in there🤣. Once they get out, Lex bullies Eleven. And after a lot of chasing, she goes to hide in her pot. Usually no damage is done, sometimes some minor nipping. But now Lex also gets "breeding stripes", only when he chases El. I'm so confused with those fish! And really, really fascinated.

Reactions: Eridanus

·
Registered
8 Posts
I haven't updated cause I was holiday for ten days. A friend would come and feed my fish. I came home to see the filter not working, and really few water left in the tank. Filled it up right away. Fish are perfectly fine. I was so relieved to see them alive!!

You remember I had a pot floating, right? Both fish wanted the pot. So I added a second one. Now I hardly ever see the fish. Both love chilling in their pots😍 But I can't really see them when they're in there🤣. Once they get out, Lex bullies Eleven. And after a lot of chasing, she goes to hide in her pot. Usually no damage is done, sometimes some minor nipping. But now Lex also gets "breeding stripes", only when he chases El. I'm so confused with those fish! And really, really fascinated.
Can you show us the pots? Sounds interesting.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I put potting soil in the mesh bags and put it under my sand substrate to benefit the plants. Are you going to top off the peat with another type of substrate?
No, just the peat. I love it, it looks so natural!

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I've got terrible news. The day before I went to the camp, Lex had made a bubble nest and was showing off to El. The filter had stopped working a few days ago. I told my mom to feed them once a day and told her how much she should feed them. And to be REALLY careful that they don't jump out. The lid is extremely tight. I came back home and dad says the tank smells extremely bad, I smelled nothing, but it probably was because I had covid a month ago. Most of the plants were dead. The cherry shrimp was dead. The fish were NOWHERE. I took everything out, and most of the peat too, still no fish. I'm waiting for the peat to settle cause it's floating around, but I'm sure the fish are not there. All this happened in 15 days. I'm so sad. I'm thinking about giving up the hobby. I'm really disappointed. I should have never bought a critically endangered species.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Oh my god, I’m so so sorry. I was absolutely heartbroken when my female unimaculata jumped in a freak accident while I was gone. I still don’t quite know how she managed it… Please know that what happened in your case is not your fault at all, you took great care of them. I’m so sorry and I’m sending you kind thoughts. Please don’t blame yourself.

·
Registered
SIP Flash, you beautiful boy!!!
1,256 Posts
So sorry! :cry: You take excellent care of your fish. Some things are just beyond our control.

I hope that you don't give up the hobby. It may not feel like it now, but it is so rewarding at times.

Sending you good thoughts and hugs!!!

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Thanks guys. I was worried you'd blame me. Idk why. You've always been so kind with me. I really appreciate that, you always make me feel better. Of course I blame myself, and I always will. But your support is awesome.

Emptied the tank, no fish, dead or alive. Looked all over tha floor, still nothing. But we have two cats, so....

I still haven't realized what happened. It was too much for me. I'm so, so sad that I lost them....

I won't get any fish right now. I'll probably give myself a few months to realize what happened and study on the coccina complex more (though I've already spent like 300 or so hours searching about them..), and then get another breeding pair. Most probably Hendras again, or Api Api. Until then, I'll use the tank as a growout for ram fry.

·
Registered
Many Platies, 1 Glofish, Many Goldfish and RRM's, Many Shrimp and Snails, 5 Birds.
4,650 Posts
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry! I read your signature and saw your two wild bettas on the "SIP" list. :( Please don't blame yourself. You spent hours and hours on these little ones and nothing you did could prevent this. Some things just were not meant to be. :(

Reactions: betta4ever!
41 - 50 of 50 Posts