Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!
I've recently been looking into wild betta species and I got wondering, can you keep multiple wild betta species together in a well planted tank?
The species I have been looking at are Betta Api Api and Betta Edithae. I know these fish are quite different, one is a bubblenester and the other is a mouthbrooder.
So, can you keep multiple wild betta species together in a well planted tank?

Registered
60 litres with 2 blue rams, my cat!
From what I've read it's possible, but I wouldn't really recommend it. Especially with Api Api and Edithae- I'd be worried about the Edithaes trying to eat the Api Apis.

Registered

Registered
I had Dimidiata and Falx together, it went rather well. Also have 3 pallifina and one ideii together atm, so far so good. The one ideii is male and grumpy. He has no female as of yet but he goes well with kind pallifina females. He got very depressed alone, so I didnt know what to do. He barely ate and hid all the time. I had to do something. These are social fishes and get depressed by themselves.

Registered
Well, maybe avoid the most aggressive spieces like gladiator. But same size, same type of temperement, I dont see why not. The ones I had/have are not known to eat fry, not even other's fry. I accidently put an ideii fry with some pallifinas, who are almost adults. They didnt touch it but babysat it for hours until I discovered it 馃槄.

Registered
Just remembered something - LittleBettaFish kept species from the Coccina complex together, but only males. From what she said on her blog, they were doing ok. Also I happened to see a video were someone kept Simplex with Api Api- that was a mess, and everyone looked stressed. Those two species need completely different water params. Aaaand I've also heard of a female Edithae eating her killifish tankmates....!

Registered
Maybe look for bettas that are in the same group,
Bettas in the same complexes can often interbreed, atleast that's what I have heard... So idk if that would be a good idea....
or look up what spieces that live in the same area.
I think that should work best!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts