Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 20 gallon female betta sorority. In this tank there are 6 female bettas, 4 platys (3 female/1 male), 4 Otos, and 2 ADFs. The tank is planted with live plants, with the temp being around 75-78 degrees. I really would like to add another type of fish and Neons would be great because they look awesome and are small. I was thinking of getting 5 but was wondering if this would overstock my tank.

On AqAdvisor is says if i add the 5 Neons i'll be at 120% capacity and will have to peform a weekly water change of 39%. My filter is an Aquaclear 50 but i also have a spare 20 gallon filter that i could add to this tank so it has 2 filters. Also, on AqAdvisor it says my Filter capacity for the above fish is 123% and they say if its above 100% then you are in good shape.

In conclusion, would adding 5 Neon tetras be too much for my tank? Would it be too much for my bettas to handle?
If 5 neons are to much any other suggestions for fish would be great.

My AqAdvisor can be found here: http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor....AqSpeciesWindowSize=short&AqSearchMode=simple

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
From a bioload point of view you would be fine. From a space point of view, eh maybe not. Neons really do best in larger groups. If you have to compromise a fishs school size to fit them into your tank, then it's overstocked in my opinion. While 5 is better than say 3, it's still a small school and some species handle being in a small school better than others. If you wanted to you could put more than 5 in there.... They are small. But adding more fish and other such changes might cause your "sorority" to fail, so that's a risk to keep in mind.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts