Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't bought my betta yet. Currently I have a 10 gallon that is going through a fishless cycle. I am prepping my tank before I get my fish by getting gravel, decor, and plants.

Will this plastic plant hurt my fish seeing that it has little spikes?

the little spikes are not hard, it feels harmless to me but im sure a fish's fins are a lot more delicate so should i just get silk plants only?

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
That is risky... I would take pantyhose and rub it on the plant and see if it rips. If it does, it will rip a betta's fins.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
never use plastic plants with bettas. 99% of plastic plants will rip your bettas fins. Use silk or live plants. If you do use silk, make sure to do the pantyhose test anyway and sand or smooth and rough parts.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Those Venus flytrap things look like trouble. Silk is good but live is better. Consider an Anubias Nana, it's a great beginner plant that requires very little care. Float it at the top of your tank, your betta will love it. And best of all it's perfectly safe.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I'd just as soon just go for silk or live rather than those plastic plants. I can tell you right now the spikes will rip a betta's fins.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sources for silk plants?

Hi - New here. :) I do a lot of my shopping online because I am disabled. Do you have any trusted suppliers of silk plants to recommend? TIA

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
+1 nylon pantyhose test, you can usually find some cheap at a grocery store. If it snags the nylon even slightly or full blown rips, the item(s) in question will shred betta fins.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Hi - New here. :) I do a lot of my shopping online because I am disabled. Do you have any trusted suppliers of silk plants to recommend? TIA
Petco has some pretty good safe silk plants. Some of of the ones from Petsmart may have metal wires in them which is something you don't want.

http://www.petco.com/product/118943/Petco-Background-Plant-Multi-Pack-Silk-Aquarium-Plants.aspx

I'm not really a fake plant person. I'm sure if you started a thread asking about silk plants, some of the other forum members might have some better suggestions.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I would order from petco. I've gotten all my silk plants from there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts