Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found a tank in my basement. It measures 8"x8"x8". It has a heater and a top. Would I be able to help another betta? I would love to save another betta from a store. It would be great to use this!

I did a quick calculation and it said that the tank was 2.2g... Is this okay?

Thanks!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would think it would be alright. I would make sure you rinse it out really well with nice hot water and leave it set up for a day or two before adding a fish to make sure it is water safe. Other than that it sounds okay to me! Make sure you post pics if you do set it up!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have a 9x9x9 cube that is slightly over 3 gallons. Betta loves it.

My other betta is a 2 gallon Fluval Speck...

That one does well too, but the filter in the Speck is huge.

I think you should be ok. Does it have a filter? I know that a lot of people don't bother with filters but I prefer to use them. You can get a cheap sponge filter on Ebay for under $2 and use a small cheap air pump to drive it.

I'd like to see this tank. Can you post a pic?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I have an extra air pump filter in one of my other tanks, I can move that over. It's good to see that this can be used. Here's a picture of it without anything in it or the thing that holds it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
That could look very nice.
Filters...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-Sponge-Filter-Fish-Tank-Air-Pump-Canister-S-/290658458338?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ac981ae2#ht_2091wt_1110
or the double
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-Biochemical-Sponge-Filter-Fish-Tank-Air-2831-/160584260159?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2563915a3f#ht_3670wt_1110

Do you have a light?

I just ordered a new tank and would be willing to sell the small filter and LED light that comes with it for cheap. They are packaged with a 3.4 gallon tank but I don't plan on using them.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a picture of the tank in it's little holder thing.

Thanks for the offer with the LEDs and the filter, but I think I'm good:)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also I forgot to say that I LOVE your tanks!!! The look amazing and your bettas are gorgeous!!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I had thought, but te measurements don't add up correctly! What's the deal with that?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thank you. :)

I love my little guys. The white one started losing his fins as soon as I got him and he worried me for a while, but they have grown back now.
The Blue one is getting a new home.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used a different one. But with doing that I still got around 2.1-2.2g. Hmmm maybe they did something wrong?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hm, I guess so. Thanks for all of your help! Hopefully I'll get this tank all set up and maybe get a new betta in the near future!

·
Registered
239 Posts
just use a gallon water jug to fill it and see how many times it takes ;)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's probably the smartest way to go... And the most obvious... Wow... Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
lol glad I could help! I had a smart! xP

·
Registered
309 Posts
calculations are off because its probably 8x8x8 when measuring at the top, but the bottom being a bit narrower shouldn't be 8x8.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts