Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a few suggestions, and I hope I’m posting this in the right place. I do have two flourishing Betta male fish in smaller (less than 3 gallons). I’m getting a new tank for Christmas- a 10 gallon. I’ve been researching easier plants to start with that don’t require too much lighting - some ground cover, and a few to stand up above the rest. I’m thinking I’ll also get some cholla wood, rocks, etc. for plant anchors and hidey-holes… and as cute as the resin decorations can be, I’m wary of their possible sharp edges and chipping paint.

I’ve been browsing through buceplant.com
The plants I’m looking at are:
-Anubis Barteri
-Anubias Nana Petite
-Bolbitis Heteroflita
-Bucephalandra Arrogant Blue
-Bucephelandra Black
-Christmas Moss (on a coconut shell bridge)
-Cryptoryne Parva
-Dwarf Hair Grass
-Echinodorus Marble Queen
-Egeria Densa
-Helanthium Bolivianum
-Hornwort/Ceratophyllum Demersum
-Lagenandra Meeboldii “Red”
-Mini Bolbitis (Baby Leaf)
-Pearl Moss
-Rotala Coin Leaf
-Salvinia Cucullata (Floating)

Forgive all the Latin names - that’s how they’re listed. Obviously I’ll need to narrow down that list, because if I plant all of those, I’ll have no room for fish. I want to create sufficient hiding places, because I’m thinking of either a small sorority of bettas, or some shrimp and a male betta… or… I dunno. I’m undecided about these things. I’m focusing on plants and decorations first before I decide on the inhabitants.

I also have questions about substrate. Previously, I’ve mostly used colored gravel, but I want to give the plants a little more to hold on to and feed them, particularly if I have ones that need nutrients via the roots. I’ve seen a few suggestions on here about using organic and unfertilized soil, combined with sand and/or gravel, but I’m little fuzzy on how that all works (what’s layered where, etc.). The closest supplier I have is Petco, but I’m not above using the internet to order whatever I need, so long as it’s within my budget.

Sorry for the length. Any and all suggestions appreciated!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you experienced with plants or are they something fairly new?
I have some experience with plants, but not quite enough to even place me in the "intermediate" range. I know I tend to like the more bush-like ones –– or rather, my Bettas prefer them. And the moss balls are always fun and low maintenance. I actually have avoided the plastic plants for years, because the live ones have a lot more benefits. Any bulbs I've bought in the past have never sprouted. Most of my plants have been from the local Petco, but after doing some research, I'm more likely to order them from a source online. I'm trying to read up on ones that would work for what I'm thinking of doing...

I will confess that this will be my first time working with filters and heaters. Up until this point, I've not really needed them.

·
Super Moderator
22,173 Posts
Know your water parameters so you don't buy plants that will hate them. I learned this the hard (and expensive) way. And, before I forget, I have a link for free shipping from BP.

I would suggest several types of Anubias (Congenesis Mini is a great plant and has narrow leaves for contrast to most other Anubias) , Ceratophyllum Demersum, Dwarf Hairgrass, Elgeria Densa and Dwarf Water Lettuce to start.

When you're more confident add some Crypts and some of the others. Crypts are among my favorites. But, they don't like to be moved and can melt when you plant them. I have had a lot of success with C. Lucens, Undulata, Mioya, Petchii, Lutea. If you go with Parva, I would suggest you try a tissue culture.

E. Marble Queen may get too big for a 10. E. Dwarf Parviflorus and E. Red Flame are a bit smaller and the Red Flame adds color if you use Iron in addition to general fertilizer tabs.

I love BP and that they have plants most others do not. However, I've some other favorites,

For Anubias I like Green Leaf Aquariums. That's about all they have other than tissue cultures. Prices are unbelievable but they do require overnight shipping. They have few stem plants but the ones they have are rooted.

For Anubias and other plants I like either www.yourifishstuff.com or www.aquariumplantsfactory.com.

GLA guarantees no snails or other pests. Same with Aquarium Plants Factory. I've not had them from Your Fish Stuff but he doesn't guarantee. Some of the BP reviews mentioned snails but that didn't stop me. :) I've never personally found them in any of their or YFS plants.

For mosses and floating plants like Dwarf Water Lettuce I have to great eBay sellers. They don't charge much, free shipping and huge amounts.

I like https://www.nilocg.com/. Easy peasy to dose as it's two pumps per five gallons.

As I said, I love BP but do not buy Parva from them. This is what you really get and these are the best of the two tries and six pots! And if you order more than one of the same plant ask them to put them in separate sleeves. They do not have the world's best packing.
20200912_152048.jpg

Are you thinking "Whew! yet?" :eek:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Know your water parameters so you don't buy plants that will hate them. I learned this the hard (and expensive) way. And, before I forget, I have a link for free shipping from BP.

I would suggest several types of Anubias (Congenesis Mini is a great plant and has narrow leaves for contrast to most other Anubias) , Ceratophyllum Demersum, Dwarf Hairgrass, Elgeria Densa and Dwarf Water Lettuce to start.

When you're more confident add some Crypts and some of the others. Crypts are among my favorites. But, they don't like to be moved and can melt when you plant them. I have had a lot of success with C. Lucens, Undulata, Mioya, Petchii, Lutea. If you go with Parva, I would suggest you try a tissue culture.

E. Marble Queen may get too big for a 10. E. Dwarf Parviflorus and E. Red Flame are a bit smaller and the Red Flame adds color if you use Iron in addition to general fertilizer tabs.

I love BP and that they have plants most others do not. However, I've some other favorites,

For Anubias I like Green Leaf Aquariums. That's about all they have other than tissue cultures. Prices are unbelievable but they do require overnight shipping. They have few stem plants but the ones they have are rooted.

For Anubias and other plants I like either www.yourifishstuff.com or www.aquariumplantsfactory.com.

GLA guarantees no snails or other pests. Same with Aquarium Plants Factory. I've not had them from Your Fish Stuff but he doesn't guarantee. Some of the BP reviews mentioned snails but that didn't stop me. :) I've never personally found them in any of their or YFS plants.

For mosses and floating plants like Dwarf Water Lettuce I have to great eBay sellers. They don't charge much, free shipping and huge amounts.

I like https://www.nilocg.com/. Easy peasy to dose as it's two pumps per five gallons.

As I said, I love BP but do not buy Parva from them. This is what you really get and these are the best of the two tries and six pots! And if you order more than one of the same plant ask them to put them in separate sleeves. They do not have the world's best packing.
View attachment 1024188

Are you thinking "Whew! yet?" :eek:
This is very helpful! Thanks!
I do feel drawn more towards the Anubias, and I'll check out these links when I have a little more time. Again, thank you for the help. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The plants and seeds so far have worked out well. However, one of the bulbs I planted in a bowl suctioned onto the side of the tank has a weird bubble around it. Is that normal? (Picture attached)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts