Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this is the right place on here, apologies if it's misplaced.

I have a few questions about a wire rack shelf as a tank stand, which I see used very often. I went ahead and got a 3 shelf wire rack that has a 350lb tolerance per shelf.

Everyone who I see using this type of stand appears to put their tanks on the wire straight with nothing underneath, and I'm wondering if that's alright? I've heard that the corners must be fully supported for tanks, so do the gaps between the wire not affect support?

If you use this kind of shelving for stands, what do you do? Do you put them on straight, or put a board underneath, or what? The footprint of a 20 long is smaller than that of the shelf.

Secondly, while I know my tank will be well below the 350 weight limit, I am setting up a tank for my mom and am wondering if 350lbs is enough to hold an acrylic 29 gallon with <1" of fine sand and no hardscape like driftwood/rocks/etc?
None of the calculators I am using are giving me a consistent final weight, and though none are reaching 350lbs, I'd still like to be sure, so if anyone can give me a good weight for an acrylic non hardscaped 29gal, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
66 Posts
You have to calculate the weight of the amount of water going in and add that to the weight of the tank, plus decor. You need the density of water, which if I remember correctly is 1kg per 1L.
29 gallons = 110L
110L water @ 1kg/1L = 110kg = 242lb

So you will have about 108lb left for the tank and your décor. If the shelf is built to withstand 350lb maybe it'll work without bracing, however if I were you I would not use something like that as a stand for a tank as large as 29 gallons. It's not worth the risk, not only will you have a mess to clean if it breaks but you will have dead fish. I'd get a proper solid stand. Also if the tank has a curved front that also changes the weight distribution and I think you need a special stand at that point, usually the one that is sold with and matches the tank.
Mind you, my math could be off.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Most of my tanks are acrylic, and I'm concerned about you putting your Mom's 29G acrylic on a wire shelf. Acrylic tanks should be placed on a completely solid surface. While glass tanks have primary pressure points on the frames, acrylic tanks have evenly distributed weight throughout the entire tank. Can you post a link or picture of this wire stand so I can understand what kind of stand it is?

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
I got one of those for some tanks I had. What I did (mostly for aesthetics) was to cut a piece of plywood, sand it down and stain it dark. Looks nice and I don't have to worry about the wires.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Is it wire or cast iron?
Anything metal besides cast iron will start to bend under continuous pressure. I think I would put a board under the tank regardless, to distribute the weight more evenly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.