Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a list of everything I need to build, support, and maintain a healthy betta tank, and I realised there's just too many things that either have expiration dates, meaning they can't be saved for extended periods, or are too big to store easily in my tiny little room. I could get it all if I wanted to, but it would require a loss of secrecy in my hoarding, and my mom would get mad. I have yet to find an argument that would convince her my cause is just.

So I guess, at this time, I can't have a betta. Woe! Woe is I! ;-;

I think I'll still gather the smaller items though. Easily storable, non-expiry items that can be kept until the time is more fortuitous.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think starting to collect supplies now is a wonderful idea!

Sometimes parents just need to know how serious you are, and how willing you are to take care of a pet before they even consider getting one. I'd start collecting items, little by little, and let your parents see what you're getting. Maybe even explaining to them why you purchased the item (Example: "I bought a heater today, because the Betta is a tropical fish, and it's important to keep the temperature of their water warm (78-80 is ideal) and stable to promote health.).

You never know, by the time you have everything you need, they might have changed their minds.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eh, if I showed them what I was getting, I'd get the disapproving looks and the argument of "see, I told you fish were too high-maintenance. Stop wasting your money." And then they'd watch me like a hawk and I'd not be able to hoarde things in secret anymore. *sigh* I wish I was gainfully employed and living in my own place like my brother. I should've been a programmer instead of a web designer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But I'm getting maudlin. That's no good. Think positive, Kesomon! One day, I shall be employed and have my own place, and I shall have as many fish as I want.

·
Registered
264 Posts
That sounds like an all too familiar situation. My reply to that would be "They're not too high maintenance! Most of these supplies i'm getting will last their whole lifetime!"

I'd still start buying supplies now, even if to just say "Just putting these on reserve for when I have my own place". But then again, I've always been kind of sharply spoken like that. lol

Just keep thinking positive. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got the tank, gravel and decorations already, but its the filter, heater, cleaning supplies, water balancers, food and storage that trips me up. The heater and filter I want I can only find online. Though I suppose waiting on the filter is a good idea - the one I'm looking at, the Marina S10 slim power filter, is relatively new doesn't have a lot of reviews for it, so no one's reported any problems with it yet. I'd hate to be the one to realise whether or not it sucks after a month's use. And of course, the balancers and food and stuff expire after a while, so I'd rather get those as close to needing them as possible, and everything else needs storage space.

I don't even want to take the tags and stuff off the decorations cuz I keep changing my mind as to what I want the tank to look like. lol. I was originally going to go with a black and blue Tron theme, cuz the betta I have my eye on right now looks like one of the programs in the original movie. ^^; but I couldn't find suitably colored material, so I shifted focus.

·
Registered
302 Posts
It's been easy for me to get bettas and other stuff like that, because my mom had a 15 gallon of tropical fish when she was growing up so she's into it. I do have a tank/fish limit though. Also I mostly have to pay for everything myself, but it's a hobby. Be straight and serious w/ your parents. Give it to them hard and fast! You are a tigress! RAWR!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the water balancers, if you mess up on a dose or miss a dose it can be lethal. Btw bettas are extremely adaptable, plus if you buy them from a store in your city, they should have a pretty close pH that you do. So that is something I and many others say to skip.
Oh and do what I do, go on Amazon and browse, you would be suprised on how some products are so much cheaper than in the stores. Some things though will be cheaper in store so it is a good idea to check both.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
My parents were like this, so I randomly bought a 2.5gal (I'm guessing your getting a bigger one so it'd be more of a problem). I put in a java fern and anubias. I told them, I was going to have a planted tank and add some shrimp later. They were all "why you waste money?!"
One day, my dad was like "you should at least put a betta in there, that thing is boring" And he actually bought my fish, food and heater ^^ Won that round!

·
Registered
302 Posts
My parents were like this, so I randomly bought a 2.5gal (I'm guessing your getting a bigger one so it'd be more of a problem). I put in a java fern and anubias. I told them, I was going to have a planted tank and add some shrimp later. They were all "why you waste money?!"
One day, my dad was like "you should at least put a betta in there, that thing is boring" And he actually bought my fish, food and heater ^^ Won that round!
Great idea! Lucky for me hopefully it will never have to come to that. I'm planning on getting 3 more bettas. I will get at least one off aquabid and I have to make a aquabid account for that, and we all know when you have an aquabid you can go betta wild, and find your self immersed in bettas broke. LOL.:lol:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sneaky Olympia is Sneaky. Yeah, I was originally planning for a 2.5, but decided to goal for at least a 5 gal, as its easier to cycle.

And balancers were pretty low on my list, but they do have expiration dates, so I lumped them in with the other expirable products. I actually did get my water tested at Petco, from four different sources, just for the hell of it. Oddly, the test from the tap-water-through-britta-filter matched the water-from-the-outside-hose. I dunno whether to be amused or horrified at what I might be drinking.

·
Registered
509 Posts
My mom's not terribly keen on my fish stuff, and was very unsupportive when I went from having a fish in a little bowl to having a 10g.

Honestly the 10g is nice, but I actually prefer my little 5g. it's so pretty, and I'm better at decortaing teeny places.

Anyway, if it's your money you get somehow, they can't stop you! I don't know ho wold you are, but even if you don't have steady employment... well, food may expire, but it takes a while and is pretty cheap. Prime will last you ages for a 5g for under 10 bucks too. Try walking a couple dogs or babysitting, you'll have enough for your finned friend in no time. ;)

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Yea, after you get everything, if I were you at least, I'd just get the fish. The worst part is if you'd fail to take care of it and your parents would be all HAHAH SEE?! Which you wouldn't have to deal with because, you're taking care of it, it's in your space, even a filter, water, and light adds like nothing to your electricity and hydro bills. It basically doesn't affect them.

My worst thing with my parents is that they say I change water too much. So I always do water changes when they're not home :p

If you don't already, just start offering to do more stuff around the house, clean it, whatever, be responsible. The whole "little angel because I want something" act. Used to work great for me, not so much after my parents started seeing through it -__-

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure how well I could pull off the innocent angel routine at 25, lmao. I've decided I'm going to keep hoarding what I can, but will wait to bring up the issue after all the house construction is done. Which will take a while, but is probably wise. I wouldn't want to have to deal with cleaning a tank while the bathrooms are in a state of disrepair, or have to drain and dismantle a tank when the renovations reach my room and stress my fish out. This way, I can put my room back together in a better configuration and leave space somewhere to put a 5gal.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Don't you think cycling a whole tank would be hard to do behind your parents' backs? Also... erm... I just want to say... ahem... don't get your heart set on "Ram." I have done that countless times on AquaBid or in pet stores. Plus you say it will take forever to get the renovation done and that you won't broach the subject until renovation is over. Soooo... erm... Ram might be gone by then, and I see your avatar is him, and you talk of him all the time. It will make it really hard if you go one day and find hom sick and dying or if he was bought by someone else. I'm just warning you. Sorry to be the party-pooper, I just don't want anyone to get upset.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
BettaMommy has a point also. :/
You're prolly gonna have to move on. If you were getting him soon, you could prolly hide him in the back, but you have to wait quite a while, so not a good idea.
Also for now keso is just hoarding, their parents are obviously going to find out when the tank gets set up :p
I wish you the best of luck though, yay for fighting the power!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh I'm a very realistic person, no worries. I'm past the depressed 'woe, cannot has fishy' stage, and into the 'yeah, it'd be great if he was still there, but if he's gone when I get my act together, then I'm happy he has a good home.' And I plant my tank with marimo balls until I see a betta who captures my attention as quick as Ram did.

I'll still keep my avatar though, cuz I like that pic.

·
Registered
354 Posts
you could store some of the stuff in a box that way it would seem less messy to your parents and it might not take up as much room. Or you could put everything in the tank then in the box.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I remember when I was trying to convince my mom to let me have a betta. And like most people, it wasn't because I was not responsible. It's just because she doesnt like animals. Mind you, I was 16 and could pay for everything myself. But nooooooo! She thought I was going to have some big water accident. She ready got rid of pearl(dog) which is another very sad story for another time.anywho,keep trying! Even when my mom said no, I still bought some supplies, I even snuck in a 5 gallon. Good luck!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've got what I have so far in a storage container in my closet.

hahah, power to yah Dew. I remember back in grade school, we'd just learned how to write a persuasive argument (y'know, "intro, thesis, paragraphs 1-2-3 of arguement, conclusion") and I wrote a whole paper on the reasons why I needed a budgie. It didn't work, but I'm amazed I did it voluntarily at that age.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts