Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this is and interesting pair, the dad appears to be a DTPK? or somthing close.. he came from a spawn where the Dad i think was PK and the mom was hmdt..most of his sibblings were short bodied hmdt ...i think im lucky he turned out this way...ok thats him...the female also came from a spawn where the dad was a PK and the mom a regular halmoon female. Now i was wondering if i crossed this pair if i would get any single tailed Plakat offspring? or would that be a long shot given the backgorunds of both fish.

the pair:

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
You'd get marbles and multis with HM and HMPK fins. The dorsals will look nice :D The fry will carry DT.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh that'd be kool...but im prolly the only guy around where i live with fish like these...because PK and HMPK and not very common here in trinidad..only one place i know that has them and they are super expensive like $300-$400 and pair...so not many people have them..so im happy if i get PK and hmpk or anthing related to pk from this spawn..then i can use one of my copper/gold/black dragon female and breed it with one of the offspring or even this male...and maybe work my way into maybe some pk with copper dragon scales?

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
the red is for surely dominant so most of them might end up red, they will carry on DBT gene, am not a professional, this is what am learning on XP i just showing basics ;p there dorsals are great though :D and not sure about the anal

·
Registered
410 Posts
Wondering what will you get with those?

A whole lotta lovin' lol j/k Those look like nice pair, would be cool if a few came out superDTPK which I doubt. yeah I could see it on the father's side with more splash of red

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wondering what will you get with those?

A whole lotta lovin' lol j/k Those look like nice pair, would be cool if a few came out superDTPK which I doubt. yeah I could see it on the father's side with more splash of red
lol! not relly the colours i wish to mix but..have no choice because they are the only two fishes i have with PK genes. so i have to breed em if i wish to get somthing close to a pk.

·
Registered
891 Posts
if the DT has that pink/white face as a result of piebald condition, you probably won't see that trait in your fry. 50% or so will carry it, as piebald is recessive in other animals (i don't know for sure about in bettas yet, but i suspect the same.)

V's the expert but i'd say you're going to get mostly black bodies with the green wash, and probably mostly red fins. some variations on that with less green wash, and/or black fins, red fins edged in black... ect.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Your male background is way off.
Pkxdthm
Won't produce pkdt
If your female background is correct
You'll get a few Pk n long fin
Piedbald is just a fancy term for marble
U might get a few or might not
It's up to the fish
How he/ she want to marble out
Piebaldxpiebald can come out with zero piebald

·
Super Moderator
7,073 Posts
Your male background is way off.
Pkxdthm
Won't produce pkdt

If your female background is correct
You'll get a few Pk n long fin
Piedbald is just a fancy term for marble
U might get a few or might not
It's up to the fish
How he/ she want to marble out
Piebaldxpiebald can come out with zero piebald
Why not?
Although, theoretically long fin is dominant, I always get some short fin when I cross them. I would even get an occasional short fin if I bred a pair of long fins that were from short fin crosses.
IMO the OP will get some short fin, both DT and single tail.

@bbs (OP) - determine which direction you want to go - symmetrical or asymmetrical PK. This determines the shape of anal you want to breed for.

Good luck.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Actually piebald is a condition found in most animals on earth, that marble is a fancy term for. However people throw the term marble at all sorts of other multicolor conditions. Most of what they call marble is not piebald.

So Piebald x Marble may not get you either marble or piebald. But piebald x piebald should result in piebalds, the amount depending on if the parents are homozygus or heterozygus. The problem is getting the fish that have the proper condition. Bettas have such varied genetic backgrounds that there are other conditions that present as the same condition, but are the result of some other condition.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Piebald is a condition where random patches on the skin/fur/scales that have no pigment. It doesn't show up in a specific location, and it can occur in few or many patches of varying size pretty much anywhere on the body.

It is likely completely separate from a "marble" where it's blue with black spots or white spots or something like that. It is lack of color in these patches entirely.

Don't get sucked in with the random names people decide to use to sell their fish. Piebald is a genuine documented condition.

Now, i'm not aware of there being 100% proof that the piebald condition exists in Bettas, but it certainly looks like it does. While most of the likely examples i've seen have the "patch" covering at least some of the head, it's not the only way it can present. I have seen it where the patch/ patches are on the body somewhere and the head is colored.

In the rest of the animal kingdom, piebald is a recessive trait. If it is Pibaldism in bettas, it is most likely also recessive and should not appear in in subsequent generations unless both parents were carriers. Again, bettas have extremely varied genetic backgrounds so many may carry the gene, it's hard to know unless they display the trait.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piebald

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
It class differently in betta
Marble is a changing gene
Really hard to keep one to stay the same color from 2.5 month -7 month
In budgie/cockatiel that trait is call pied
Dog piebald
In dog one usualy pop up if the mom or dad is a piebald

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.