Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My crowntail betta won't eat any of his pellets. I gave him two different types: TetraBetta and a trial size.. aqueon betta food I think.. (they're small and brown.)

Yesterday, to test if he would eat at all, I gave him 3 freeze-dried bloodworms and he tore through those.. but I know those aren't very healthy.

The Petco I went to had none of the recommended foods on here.. so I may ask my mom if she'll take me to petsmart.

The problem is until I get money.. I don't have enough to buy any more pellets. :c

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure.. but I have an update, he'll eat, but only when they're crushed down to bits.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
FD Bloodworms are actually pretty healthy and nutritious, but are still better as treats. We'll need to know the temperature, if it's too cold, that's a problem for his health. Is he lethargic or lazy? He might just be a picky eater, when did the not eating parade start?

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Did you just buy him? A lot of the time when you just bring betta from the store they need time to adjust to new environment. I had betta who ate only dried blood worms for 3 or 4 weeks. I was literally driving crazy. I was lucky because he was on my work table and i offer him food probably million times a day lol. He refused for so long that i even fast him for 5 days. Then little bit he started from crashed pellets, flakes then finally he started to eat whole pellets. So just keep offering , if he ate crashed pellets then he will start eating soon. Just don't get excited and overfeed him lol
Blood worms just like Lebron wrote better as treats. I give them bw about 2 times a week instead of pellets in the morning or just as treat between pellets.

Always remove uneaten food so it don't contaminate the water and give him infection and keep his water super clean, he will be happy betta.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He's very active. I don't have a thermometer.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Well here is a question~

Do you have a heater? Or is the water room temperature? If it's room temperature then it makes bettas sluggish (if your room temperature if 76 degrees, water temperature is usually cooler). Unless you just recently bought him, then it may take him a few days to adjust OR it is what the pet store feeds him and that is what he identifies as food.

With a bit of training you can have him on pellets. Keep trying! If after 5 days he doesn't eat, try soaking it in a garlic powder/water mix. Bettas love garlic or chicken broth!

Don't give in to his bloodworm addiction! Intervention!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got him on sept. 28th, planning on getting a heater.

Thanks! c:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts