Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had BlueFish the betta for 8 days now. He's living in a 10g cycled tank. All parameters are normal (but I've filled in the particulars below).

over the last 8 days I've done 1 X 75% water changes and 1 X 50% water change (this morning). I also do a visual waste check daily and use one of those turkey basters they call betta waste removers in the pet store to remove any waste I can see. I perform all my water changes using a gravel vacuum.

After this morning's water change I notice some odd debris in the bottom of the bucket that looked like tiny little worms of some sort. I've not seen them before (or if they were there I didn't notice).

Does anyone know what these are? Are they harmful and what I can/should do about them if anything? Here's a picture:

And here are my aquarium particulars:

What size is your tank? 10g
What temperature is your tank? 78-80 c
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None, but I have 2 live plants - one melon sword and one amazon sword. These plants were taken from a tank with other plants at PetSmart that had some small fish living in them. I don't know what type of fish - looked like perhaps some small female guppies.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqeuon Betta Food
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 X pellets in the am, 2 X pellets in the pm

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? In the 8 days that I have had him I've changed it 3 times - 2 X 50% changes and 1 X 75% changes. My goal is for 2 X 50% water changes weekly and one 100% water change a month. The greater number of water changes over the last few days were 1 - he had a touch of fin rot that has resolved and 2 - the ammonia levels went to .25 about 4 days in. I've tested daily and they have not come back above 0. All water changes have been performed using a gravel vacuum.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Typically 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus, Top Fin Bacteria Supplement and Top Fin pH Decrease (my tap water is closer to an 8). Also, once a week I add Nutrafin Plant grow to the water for the plants (but not in correlation with the water changes).

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? Yes

If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:7 - 7.4 with pH decrease added
Hardness: Don't know (not in my test kit)
Alkalinity: Don't know (not in my test kit)

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? It hasn't though he had a touch of fin rot in the first few days which I treated with stress coat and it's resolved.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? I hasn't - he's acclimatized nicely. He was a bit nervous the first day I introduced him but his personality has come out in the last 8 days - he enjoys his little places to hide and is active, receptive and we play a few games (follow the finger, teaching him to flare on cue etc…)
When did you start noticing the symptoms? No symptoms to notice aside from the touch of fin rot that has resolved.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? See above comment :)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nope
How old is your fish (approximately)? I purchased him from petsmart 8 days ago. Don't know his age.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Now I don't remember what it is called, so maybe someone can help me out on this. There is a parasite that can live in tanks that is worm like. It attaches on to the fish and when its getting close to falling off resembles a worm crawling out from under your fishes scales. There also are a variety of parasites that can live on plants in planted tanks that you may have brought home with you new pet. Keep an eye on the tank if you have already put in medications. You may need to take the plants out and treat then separately and aggressively. (If you lose a plant big deal. If you lose a fish, that's sad.) But good luck and really consider an air stone, if not for the betta being able to breath, just to keep the water nice and aerated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts