Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning,

My co-worker and I adopted Finley from Petsmart a month ago. We are new fish owners. On Wednesday before his water change we noticed he had a "growth" on his fin. The first 3 pictures were taken on Thursday and the last 4 were taken this morning. It looks like it has grown. We might be over protective parents, but wanted to be sure he is healthy. Please take a look and let us know if this should be a concern and what we can do if it is an issue.

Thank you,
Mama D and Mama M

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 1.8
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? no
What temperature is your tank? IDK
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? no What kind? None

Food:
What food brand do you use? Aqueon, Color Enhancing Betta Food. We also bought Betta Dial-a-Treat with Mysis, Blood Worms and Daphnia.
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? IDK
How often do you feed your Betta? Twice a day. How much? 3 pellets. He does not eat on weekends since he is an office fish and we do not have access to the office on the weekend.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? We have only had him a month and we have done 1 complete water change
What percentage of water did you change? All except for the cup he was in while we changed it
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? dipped the cup he came in into the tank and used a net to catch him, put him in the cup. We rinsed the bowl/rocks/decorations with water (no soap)
What additives do you use? none, just spring water

Water Parameters: We don't have a testing kit yet. Looking for suggestions on what to buy.
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 3 days ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? just the growth on the fin
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? He has bee swimming more, darting back and forth, seems happy, and blowing bubbles
Is your Betta still eating? YES
Have you started treating your Betta? Not yet If so, how? N/A
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? one month and 3 days. Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? not to our knowledge

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
We are new at this and from the moment we picked Finley out we were in LOVE!!! The whole office is attached to him. We wanted a "low maintenance" fish but are willing to do whatever it takes to keep him happy and healthy!! Sorry I did not see the questionnaire before posting!

·
Registered
126 Posts
It in all honesty looks completely normal, almost all of my bettas have coloring like this on their ventrals. It is a bit peculiar you say it has "grown" but unless the fin itself starts to recess I wouldn't worry about it. If it does start to recess it could be the early stages of fin rot, but if you keep the water clean and warm (I'd recommend getting a heater, 73-79 F is best for healing wounds and thriving in general) it should clear up. Keep us updated.

Also I'd recommend doing more water changes, take out 25% of the water a week and replace it with clean dechlorinated water, I would normally recommend changing more water on bowls but since you have a filter it should be fine.

If you choose to get a heater make sure you also get a thermometer, as heating small tanks can be tricky and easy to over-heat.

·
Super Moderator
22,958 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! :wave:

Cupkayke is correct: No 100% water changes; weekly 25% instead; you can use a piece of airline tubing ($3.00 at Wal-Mart) as a vacuum. Whatever you do, do not wash everything (especially the filter media) as everything in the tank holds the beneficial bacteria needed to keep the water balanced. Personally, I prefer tap water treated with Seachem Prime to bottled water. You can try to cycle the tank using the following tutorial. You will need Seachem Prime and either an API Freshwater Master Test Kit or if you don't want to buy the entire kit you can get a liquid Ammonia test and API 5-in-1 strips. The white on his ventrals is also normal.

http://www.bettafish.com/forum.php

A small heater would be a good idea as Betta are Tropical fish and tend to start suffering when temperatures are lower than 74-75. This includes lethargy and loss of appetite. Or at the least get a thermometer so you can see exactly what's going on temperature-wise. This is a heater I used and liked. It goes under the substrate. I also like the digital thermometers over the glass floating or sticky ones.

Aquarium Heaters: Zoo Med Laboratories Bettatherm Betta Bowl Heater

If you decide to get any of the above I can recommend Pet Supplies | Dog & Cat Supplies, Pet Meds | DrsFosterSmith.com Pet Products. Free shipping at $19.00...my dogs particularly love this site. :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've heard that white/ clear fins = growth. Most of my bettas have had that and they're fine. Like it says above, get a heater. Bettas with cold water have lower immune systems and get sick easier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts