Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

This may sound like a ridiculous concern, but I was planting a few small Sagittaria subulata sprigs in my betta's tank, and while doing so, some of the underneath substrate (a small white gravel - larger than a grain of sand, but some are about the size of a betta pellet) floated to the top of the tank. My very curious betta immediately swam to them and started prodding them with his mouth, and took a couple small ones into his mouth and spit them back out. However, I wasn't close enough to him in the moment to see if he actually spit all of them out, and now I'm SO worried about the possibility of him ingesting one (?)

A little additional info - I have two layers of substrate in my betta's tank. The first layer, at the very bottom, is the finer white sand/gravel, and the top layer is a thick layer of larger river-rock pebbles. It's a cycled 5-gallon planted tank (heated, filtered, etc.)

Will bettas naturally explore things with their mouths and simply spit out what isn't food? Or could he have ingested a piece of the substrate, and now is a ticking time bomb? It was about an hour ago and he seems fine, and I've fed him since. But I'm so worried something so small and stupid could cost him his life. If he did happen to ingest one, when would I expect to start seeing symptoms of it? Please advise - definitely panicking a bit.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you SO much Mbpoppy and Mr Grumpy! You definitely made me feel better about it. He seems perfectly fine and energetic today, so that's definitely encouraging. I'm a nervous betta mom, lol.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It's incredible what they decide to pick up and 'taste'. But they are quite capable of spitting it back out, substrate especially.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts