Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I brought home a mystery snail for my 10 gallon planted betta tank. My betta never showed any signs of aggression towards the snail, in fact he seemed to completely ignore it until one day I noticed the snail's antennae were both gone. Even though I figured the betta had accidentally mistaken them for food (instead of trying to attack), I removed the snail and put him in his own tank.

I really want to get another snail though for this betta tank to help the amount of algae in it. I am wondering if a nerite snail would be safe this time, instead of a mystery snail, since their antennae are significantly shorter and as I said, my betta isn't typically aggressive. Only downside is that if it doesn't work out again, I don't have any place to move the nerite. I don't want to mix him in the 5 gallon with the mystery snail - he's huge. But I also need a solution for the algae.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
818 Posts
I've had bettas that absolutely hated my nerites. But their shell covers almost all of their body so there's not much a betta can do. If it absolutely won't work you can take the nerite back to the store. Less light could stop the algae though, or more plants if you have live plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
19,257 Posts
How long are the lights on? With algae issues my first suggestion is always to get a timer.

If the Nerite doesn't work out, you can house him in the five with the Mystery Snail but you might need to supplement feed if there isn't enough algae.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts