Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first tank with morning; it's a 5 gallon Hawkeye from Walmart so it came with a light and hood. Is there a particular brand of heater I should look for? Or any heater brands I should steer clear of? I'd like to plant this tank (although I'm quite intimidated by how to cycle it to ready it for the fish.) :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Congrats! I just got this very same tank the other day and so far I love it! The light seems to work well, my plants are already beginning to grow. :)

Now, I have an unpopular opinion on heaters, but I use a Tetra HT10 pre-set. For me, it works great! It keeps the tank right around 78 degrees, the lowest I have seen it is about 76-77, closer to 77 according to my digital meat thermometer. (I use it to get an accurate reading since my tank thermometer is an LCD strip type.)

Best of luck with your tank!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now, I have an unpopular opinion on heaters, but I use a Tetra HT10 pre-set. For me, it works great! It keeps the tank right around 78 degrees, the lowest I have seen it is about 76-77, closer to 77 according to my digital meat thermometer. (I use it to get an accurate reading since my tank thermometer is an LCD strip type.)
So what is the knock on your tank? That it's a pre-set heater and not an adjustable thermostat?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Congrats! I just got this very same tank the other day and so far I love it! The light seems to work well, my plants are already beginning to grow. :)

Best of luck with your tank!

I have the same heater and I honestly can't figure out why it gets such a bad rep. I love it and my tank is constantly between 76 & 78. I also have the same tank too and I love it. The light is perfect on it and the only change i've made was baffling the filter.

Congrats and good luck with your tank Canuck Fins!

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Congrats on your tank! Whereabouts Canada are you? Because I've never seen a 5 gal. Hawkeye being sold here. :-?

You can get a pre-set Tetra heater from Walmart for about $11. I found that didn't work so well in a 5 gal, but worked well in my smaller tanks.

Or you could get an adjustable heater. Marineland Stealth heaters are pretty good, but a bit costly.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congrats on your tank! Whereabouts Canada are you? Because I've never seen a 5 gal. Hawkeye being sold here. :-?
I'm in Saskatchewan. The box says Aquabrite on the front, Hawkeye on the side and Hawkeye on all the paperwork in the box. I looked at the Hawkeye photos on here and it's the same one.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I just bought a 5 gallon too! I bought the same heater everyone is talking about here, and I haven't had any problems. Granted, it's been set up since Friday, but it's been staying a consistant 77.

·
Registered
420 Posts
So what is the knock on your tank? That it's a pre-set heater and not an adjustable thermostat?
It's the heater, because it is pre-set many forum members think it is bad. I am assuming they have had bad experiences with some pre-set heaters. But honestly, the kind I have has been working wonderfully. Even with the cooler temperatures I have already had this Fall. So, I can't complain. I just wanted to be honest that my opinion on the Tetra pre-set is not popular with some of the members here.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have that pre-set as well and it keeps my tank at 78 with the lowest I've seen 76 during a particularly cold and rainy night with the light off several hours before hand.

Just try to make sure what you get is sufficient for your tank size.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts