Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local pet store near where I live has a new "get up" for their bettas that is just ridiculous. They have each betta in a little square cup BUT each cup is attached to a tube - air bubbles are blown into the cup through the tube and the poor bettas can't get away from the bubbles unless they hug the corner of their cup. Some of the bettas swim constantly from one side of their cup to the other trying to stay out of the bubbles. I asked an employee if they could possibly turn down the force of the bubbles - I told her that almost all of the bettas looked stressed. She told me that the bubbles are only on for 12 hours each day (only 12 hours - what are you talking about, I'm thinking) - why would anyone think this was a good idea????? The saddest thing is that this pet store is one of the better pet stores around - the water in the cups actually look pretty clean. I wish I had more money and space - I would liberate so many more bettas. I'm presently holding steady at 6 bettas.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
:( it always surprises me how LFS handle their bettas. I went to one a couple weeks ago (i just happened to walk by it and recognized that name as one of the better ones in the city) and walked in and saw their betta in divided tanks...no heater and not filter. Im talking about a 10 gallon with 20 bettas!!!!! It was divided into 10 slots and then those slots were cut in half and you could walk around the tank to you could see all the bettas. They had two of these stacked on top of each other and maybe like two rows of tanks like this. the water also looked horrible and the bettas were all sick/had major fin rot. When I alerted the store to them they said it was better then cups....

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
My LFSs take great care of the bettas.

One puts females in community settings and gives each male 1/2 container that gets a water change and feeding every day.

Another puts females in a sorority setting and the males are in the tanks, but in separate containers with water flow.

The last and closest one puts females into a sorority setting and males into community settings. There was 4 females and 1 male into a 20g and they were all doing great! There were cories in with them and no one had nipped fins or seemed stressed. The females were adults, but the male seemed like a juvie, so there was no aggression.

I'm really happy with how my LFSs keep their bettas. Some people still may not see it as ideal, but all the bettas I've seen are happy and healthy. Whenever the first LFS that I listed gets special bettas (HMs), they put them into huge cups that I love. Here's a picture!

If the bettas at your LFS look stressed, ask if they can cut it down a few hours. Tell them that it will save money for electricity and also will have healthier and happier bettas. Explain to them that people will be less willing to buy the bettas if they look sickly and stressed.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Awww I wish I had your LFS Kiara! ;w; Right now only Petco and Petsmart are around, the lfs in my town got shut down due to lack of business from these chain stores ugh. Hopefully a new one opens up...

·
Registered
243 Posts
:( it always surprises me how LFS handle their bettas. I went to one a couple weeks ago (i just happened to walk by it and recognized that name as one of the better ones in the city) and walked in and saw their betta in divided tanks...no heater and not filter. Im talking about a 10 gallon with 20 bettas!!!!! It was divided into 10 slots and then those slots were cut in half and you could walk around the tank to you could see all the bettas. They had two of these stacked on top of each other and maybe like two rows of tanks like this. the water also looked horrible and the bettas were all sick/had major fin rot. When I alerted the store to them they said it was better then cups....
That seems way worse than the cups! If one betta gets sick he can infect all the others. Maybe then the store might care :/

And those poor bettas with the bubblers, they really don't appreciate that at all, especially in such a small space :(

·
Registered
823 Posts
Are you talking about this display?
http://elivepet.com/fish/retail-centers/betta-centers/

If so, there IS a way to control the amount of air pushed into the cups. The lights and the air system are set on timers that turn the system/lights on and off at certain times of the day so that you don't have employees forgetting to turn off the lights and/or air system at night. If you look at the manual on the website, you can see part "G" is an "air adjustment valve" and part "L" is an appliance timer.

My work place has ordered one of these and I'm excited for it. It offers an easy feed system, allowing the employee to drop one or two pellets into the cups without disturbing the betta (they usually get startled when you have to pry the lids off their cups). It's a bright, vibrant display that prevents any bettas from getting stuck in the back of the shelves and neglected (not that any are neglected where I work, but in other stores..)
Plus I like the cups they have rather than the tall round cups that we currently have our bettas in. The square cups offer more surface space for breathing, and are more shallow for the bettas who are ill.
Of course, you still have to change the water just as frequently, but I prefer this over drink cups on a shelf. Plus, with this display, our district manager is finally allowing us to move the bettas to the FRONT of the store rather than tucked away in the back. This allows us as employees to keep a closer eye on the bettas and discourages teenagers from messing with the bettas.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I think, if it had filtration and a heater, and allowed water to circulate, it WOULD be better than the cups. 20 bettas in 10 gallons is still half a gallon each. Not great to live in, but better than a cup of water in a cup. heck, leave one space empty and put a heater and a filter, use mesh dividers and it would be better than the cups. Not ideal, as if one gets sick they all risk it, but that's the same in a community tank as well. Obviously with 20 in 10 gallons, it would still need a LOT of water changes. Like 2 a day. But surely it would be easier to do 1 big tank than 20 small cups.
I dunno, i think with some serious tweaking, it could work.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes Sathori - that's the display I'm talking about - I asked the employee at this store to turn down the force of the bubbles - she didn't want to hear it (why would a customer know anything?) . . . . IF the cups were twice as big AND the bubbles came out with less force - it might be a workable system - but as it is right now - I see a lot of miserable bettas trying to get away from the bubbles with no where for them to go!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I used to work at a chain pet store...and gosh if a customer told me that I would change it. :p Then again my managers were really huge on doing anything and everything to make the customer happy. She probably didn't want to get scolded by the manager.

Now that I went back and looked at the display though that was linked, I wonder if there is a good way to shut it off without shutting down the whole system. To be honest I like the display a lot, its eye catching and because of that I can see a lot more people taking betta fish home as opposed to them rotting away in corners. It also is a bright sign for employees not to forget about them. I love the sides that have the filter so the bettas can't see each other. It may not be the best because of the bubbler but I think it is the best chance right now and a step in the right direction for better treatment of bettas and increased sales.

What you really should do is email the company/ask your friends to. The company NOT the pet store has all the power in changing and fixing the product. The company perhaps could get a less powerful bubbler that will not disturb the fish as much and may resell their new design with the changes suggested :) I know the Aquafarm got a lot of customer reviews that they absolutely tried to fix.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I think, if it had filtration and a heater, and allowed water to circulate, it WOULD be better than the cups. 20 bettas in 10 gallons is still half a gallon each. Not great to live in, but better than a cup of water in a cup. heck, leave one space empty and put a heater and a filter, use mesh dividers and it would be better than the cups. Not ideal, as if one gets sick they all risk it, but that's the same in a community tank as well. Obviously with 20 in 10 gallons, it would still need a LOT of water changes. Like 2 a day. But surely it would be easier to do 1 big tank than 20 small cups.
I dunno, i think with some serious tweaking, it could work.
Each betta may have 1/2g to swim in, but they technically get all the water of the 10g. If I had divided tanks for bettas, I would divide a 10g into 4 sections (this is how I've kept my bettas before) and then have one male per section. That's roughly 2.5g each. Not only do they have more room, but it also lets you have access to do simple gravel vacs/water changes and to grab the bettas a lot easier. You have to remember though, if you use mesh dividers then they'll have to silicone them in. People are going to poke the dividers and knock them down. 4 bettas in with each other is terrible, 20 bettas in together is unspeakable ...

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Those displays are actually great for stores to use, maybe the one near you needs to tweak it a little bit but surely you aren't saying the display is a bad thing?

Stores that actually upgrade and use these at least show they care about the bettas and want to take care of them.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pocketmew - I decided to heed your advice and wrote the following note to the owners of this store: First - I want to thank both of you for thinking about how to provide a better environment for bettas while they are in your store. The new display at the Clifton Park Benson's is bright and cheerful and will hopefully inspire more customers to purchase one of these great fish. There is one thing about this display that, IMHO, needs to be adjusted. The bubbles coming out of the tubes into each individual cup are just too strong. I have owned bettas for a while now (presently have 6) - and none of my bettas enjoy being subjected to strong current in their water. If those bubbles could be turned down - I think it would be of great benefit to the fish. Four of my six bettas have come from both your Saratoga and Clifton Park stores. Again - I appreciate that you have created a way to house these great fish in a more humane way and I have always been impressed by the fact that the water for the bettas looks clean - tweak those bubbles and you will have a truly great display.

So - lets see if I hear back from them

1 - 12 of 12 Posts