Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My filter has the 2 parts. The Carbon filter and the bio filter. So if its best for a cycle to not change out either part is there a better thing I can put in where the carbon filter is or just keep the carbon one in there and hope it doesn't disintigrate. They don't look all that sturdy. I have the Aqua-tech power filter for 5-15 gallon tanks and my tank is 5 gallons.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Here's an interesting article about the use of carbon. http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/carbon.htm

I personally just got the AquaClear 20 for my tank when the old filter died. This filter has a alone for mechanical filtration, then a carbon bag for chemical filtration, and finally a bag of pellets for bio filtration. I didn't bother with the carbon I just added a second bag of the bio filter beads. I'll save the carbon for if I ever need chemical filtration.

·
Registered
462 Posts
That filter should perform just fine and the media replacements are cheap, i been using aqua-tech filters for a while now and i haven't had problems.
Just leave it there.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I've taken the carbon out of my tanks so I can replace it with more filter wool, ceramic rings and bio-balls.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts