·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #81

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Feeding time. At least 18, maybe as many as 22.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
You live continental US?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
And everyone is still good. They eat like little piggies. There are definitely 20, and their colors are really starting to come in. One looks like he might be a yellow, a couple of the others are getting black butterfly-ish marks along their fins, and there are a whole lot of Cambodians. Three seem to have swim bladder issues (two with sinking tails, one with super buoyancy), but that doesn't seem to bother them too much (three of the bigger ones).

Feeding them daphnia is kinda funny. 5 seconds after they start eating, they also start relieving themselves. So, at least they are healthy.

Does anyone know when ovaries start to develop?

Anyway, pics or video update tomorrow.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
a quick word only update.

The fry are now just over 7 weeks (I'll post picks on the 8th week hatch time). They are (for the most part) so big! All but the two runts are bigger than Uo and Hana were when I got them, and I guesstimated that they were both about 7 or 8 weeks old then (PetCo babies). They actually look like real (minute) betta fish with stumpy fins. A couple of the bigger ones are starting to look like they are getting small cloudy, vaguely cone shaped shadows behind their stomachs (really hope I'm not imagining the maroon Cambodian one, really want that one for Rin II for the sorority tank). Also, a handful are developing black or clear bands around the outer edge of their fins.

I can now say with absolute certainty that there are 20 fry (maybe 22, I don't know if I counted the runts, they are rather good at hiding).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Wow! :) Your bettas are pretty. I LOOOOVE Yue, and Kisa is pretty too. I have a local PetCo, and their bettas are up and down.

I saw a GORGEUS Dark Standard Blue and white HM Butterfly the other day at PetCo. I almost got it, but then I realised I didn't have that big 33 gallon long tank I was going to get for christmas and split into 6 and have them each get 5 gallons or a little less. A Current USA Led freshwater plus LED tank light, it changes colors and everything! I want to get a White Baby Betta. I am not spawning because I don't have a lot of room.

Well, I got totally OFF TOPIC. But how much work is it to do a spawn of about 3 bettas? I would use a Purple/Red DTHM and maybe a White Plakat Female? I wanna get some purples :D I have the Purple DTHM already! He's gorgeus. Of course, I got him from PetCo. I NEED A FEMALE. I'd have to let the male eat a lot.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #91 (Edited)
Thank you. I've been really really lucky with the PetCo and PetsMarts around here. I almost didn't get Yue (didn't have a spare tank), but bargained with myself that I could get him if he was still there the next day and house him with my Glofish. I think I'm going to spawn Tony and Yuki (looks almost exactly like Rin with red splotches on her caudal fin) next, get some multis. Their pics are on my journal: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=384146&page=3 or on page 620 of the betta picture thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?p=4856050&highlight=yuki#post4856050 . Or do another Yue Kisa (or spawnling) spawn.

can't really control the spawn number. Though, anecdotes indicate that virgin and second spawns are usually rather small due to the inexperience of the pair. Honestly, not that much work, just more frequent water changes and feedings. I had a small enough spawn that I didn't really need to split them into groups (recommended for larger spawns for stable growth and adequate food). After the first two weeks, they readily attacked frozen foods, so I was able to phase out live BBS pretty quick. Most difficult part is waiting for them to mate. SO NERVE-RACKING! Most time-consuming part is getting everything ready: food cultures, growing and spawn tanks, figuring out what to do with the fry you don't keep, jarring situation

·
Registered
627 Posts
You can, but there's no guarantee the parents will eat the eggs. The female usually will, but if the male is still in the tank he will chase her off and perhaps kill her for threatening his fry. Males usually only eat infertile or fungus infected eggs barring any other circumstances (like stress), though sometimes you just get an egg eater who will finish off an entire spawn.

So in short, yes you can allow the parents to eat the eggs, but it's not exactly guaranteed that you will end up with a smaller spawn by allowing that. They may not eat the eggs, or they may eat every single one. You can't exactly lean over and whisper into the male's ear "Hey, bon appetit... but don't go nuts, k?"

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
+1 for kevin

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
8 weeks and 20 fry later

They are getting so big!! Got bloodworms today for their 8 week hatching anniversary. Still only lost those to deformed ones during the first week, so, I think I'm good on them surviving.

Pics:
View attachment 417770 View attachment 417778 View attachment 417786 View attachment 417794 View attachment 417810 View attachment 417818 View attachment 417826 View attachment 417834 View attachment 417842 View attachment 417850 View attachment 417858 View attachment 417866 View attachment 417874

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Thanks, and yes, the penny is for size reference :)

81 - 100 of 100 Posts