Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooo i went to Petco to explore my betta tank options. I have explored betta soroitys and 5 gall comunity tank but that really didnt seem to be a good idea. The store had a mini bow, but i really like the standard 2.5 gallon 12x6x8 tank. I would use an aquaclear 20. The only problem is i cant find a hood, could you possibly help.
I really want to keep some good looking plants (the key to a cool nano tank) a kick but betta and snail and maybe some shrimp. Again if i can find a hood this tank will be up and cycling in no time.
Thanks

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't believe they make much in terms of hoods for 2.5 gal tanks.

I have 4 of them...and just have the glass covers that came with them. I use clip on lights for lighting. I've been looking for specific light hoods for years for them, and unfortunately, I just don't think they make them for tanks that small.
so could i go unfiltered?

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfiltred is fine. You just have to keep up with water changes. I have my 2.5 gal tanks filtered with Toms Aquarium mini internal filters. Azoo filters work well too. Just make sure you get a heater. :) and cover whatever space you can with a glass hood, or plastic canvas cut to size in a pinch.
o00, i would def do an internal filter, heater and clip on lights but my tank dosent come with a cover :evil: do you know where (link) i could get one? thanks

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If so, then this top should fit it. (It's a Perfecto 2.5 Gallon Glass Top)

Perfecto 2.5 Gallon Glass Top

Alternatively, you could also go to a lowes or hardware store and have them cut a piece of glass to the dimensions you need. :)
can't say for sure but looks pretty darn simmilar, what are the dimensions of your tank?
thanks

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wow, thanks for al of your help!!!! changing topics for 1 sec i know a 2.5 isnt ideal for a betta but its all i have room for and im pretty sure the betta will like it more than a cup. Would a male or female do better in a 2.5?

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Depending on plant type they require different lighting. As a beginner go find Java Fern or Java Moss as they do fine with low light and are also hardy.

As a lighting solution on your 2.5 gallon. Get a glass top and pick up one of these from Walmart. Walmart.com: Lights of America 24" Fluorescent Grow Light Fixture: Decor

That link is a 24 inch flourescent grow light fixture but they also sell 13 inch ones which is a perfect length for your 2.5 gallon. Lay this fixture on top of the glass hood. Java Fern or Moss will fluorish with this setup, just give them 10+ hours of light a day.

Am a big fan of Java Moss, java moss
could i make a java moss bedding?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.