Betta Fish Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

· Registered
388 Posts
How can the filter and heater wires get to the outlet with the glass top?
Posted via Mobile Device
You don't have the glass top completely covering the tank..still need to have some air circulation, so I keep the wires and stuff going out the back side of the tank, as well as the light clamp, then you just cover the tank the rest of the way.

· Registered
388 Posts
Does the in tank filter make ANY noise... This tank is going to next to my bed and has to be silent
Posted via Mobile Device
None, as long as you keep the tank full lol. It makes a trickling noise as it pushes water over the surface if you let the levels drop below the spout. Otherwise, no motor sounds or anything. At least for the Tom Mini Internal filters that I use. :)

Another alternative for a filter is the Azoo mini filter. It's external, but is very quiet. I haven't tried it with long finned bettas yet, but I have it on Brutus' tank on the lowest setting. I think the internal filter works better for long finned bettas, but either would work for a shorter finned betta. :)

· Registered
388 Posts
I am so happy that I will be able to provide a betta a tank though not huge is much bigger than a cup at petco, lit, filtered and heated!
Posted via Mobile Device
And he/she will be very grateful to you for doing so! Keep in mind, you can always upgrade your betta laterif you want to (once you have a place you can have a larger tank) and keep this smaller tank on hand to have as a hospital tank if needed. :)

Can't wait to see what you get!

· Registered
388 Posts
Those are nice. I have the 1 gal version that I use for my new guys as temporary tanks until I can get their stuff all set up! lol. (Just because I have them on hand already from past bettas)

Only thing I've noticed with them is that you have to put a sponge over the intake, or your fishy can get stuck to it or get his fins torn. (I had it happen with a previous betta.)

here's a pic of how I have the glass on Draco's tank, from above of course lol. I still need to get a light for both Sapphira and Shadowfax's tanks, but they're expensive and the ones I want, the company that makes them isn't selling anything right now.

· Registered
388 Posts
oh dang! what kind of sponge ? do you have a pic?
I do! Umm, I used a piece of sponge by AquaClear. AquaClear Filter Insert Foam, in a 3 pack. I had picked it up awhile back when I was trying to rig up something for Tango's tank. My fear for sapphira wasn't that her fins would get sucked to it, but because she is so small, she may have been sucked up into it. There's a nice wide hole at the bottom of it.

I just cut it to size then hollowed it out, but you may be able to use a Fluval Chi intake sponge as well. We used one of those for my boyfriends dwarf puffer tank to keep the puffers from being sucked up into that intake.

It'll be just a few minutes before I can show you a pic, as it's uploading now.

· Registered
2,772 Posts
okay thanks, what if i have a uhm, cover for the intake thing? like what you get with larger filters, and they have that protective plastic cover at the end? do you know what im talking about? because if i work hard enough all month, my mom will buy me one of those 2.5 gallon tanks, i want to use it for sir, since Mister passed, and let my sorority have the whole ten gallon.

i had the choice of a 2.5 gallon tank or a tablet, but i highly doubt she'll even buy me the tank...

· Registered
388 Posts
I saw the mini bow at petco yesterday but liked the standard 2.5 more
Posted via Mobile Device
Yea, the are nice, but the curved front makes it difficult to take good pictures of the fish! haha...Plus, I like the standard 2.5 gal tanks due to the length vs the height. More swimming space for the boys/girl. I do alot of photography of my fish...so flat fronts are much more enjoyable to me. :)

As for the plastic thing you're talking about, I'm not sure. Foam is better in my opinion, as it will also lessen the flow, and if a betta does by chance get sucked to it, the foam is not going to tear his/her fins, whereas a plastic cover may.

Here's a pic of the foam on the filter from that tank. It's not currently running right now, so don't mind the water level. Sapphira is getting over some constipation/bloat, and I lowered the water level until she mends to help her out. She couldn't get to the bottom very easily as the bloating was affecting her swim bladder some. (The filter is being used on her 2.5 gal tank until I order another filter for her...in case you were wondering why it is on this tank and not the mini bow lol)

· Registered
2,772 Posts
oh well.... i think i'll put the tip from an old filter on it if i get one, so it wont eat my fishy! lol
the nearest petsmart is an hour or more away... :(

· Registered
388 Posts

· Registered
2,772 Posts
well, i wouldnt want you to mail it to me before i know for sure im getting it, but if i do get it, i will let you know and that'd be great! do you want payment?

· Registered
388 Posts
well, i wouldnt want you to mail it to me before i know for sure im getting it, but if i do get it, i will let you know and that'd be great! do you want payment?
Just message me when you know. It's not very heavy, so won't cost but a dollar or so to mail, so no. Don't worry about payment. :)

All in all, it's a very nice tank! You'll enjoy it :) the only other thing I find a bit lacking (only because I'm used to such a bright flourescent light for my other tank, is that the lighting is a bit dull. But they may have change the light bulbs since I bought mine. It's a very nice tank!

21 - 40 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.