Betta Fish Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

· Registered
2,772 Posts
okie dokie, it sounds like im gonna need to start cleaning alot then! thanks Tappy4me, i'll message you sometime to let you know!

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·

· Registered
870 Posts
You really don't need a filter in a 2.5 as you will still have to do the same amount of water changes as that volume water is difficult to cycle properly.

Far as the light, just get yourself a desktop light that stands on the side and hangs over and just add a fluorescent bulb. There are some decent desktop lights at walmart for under 10 bucks.

· Registered
388 Posts
So im trying to aproximate the price of the tank, if i forget anything, misestimate the price if anything or could save money anywhere please please please let me know.
Tank 12 bucks petco
Substrate 5 dollars
heater 10 dollars
internal mini filter 16 dollars
would this light (20 bucks) work? Amazon.com: TOM Aquarium Perch-Light Fixture 9W w/Compact Flo Lamp, 6400K D: Pet Supplies
glAass top 15
total 80 ish bucks
All of that should work.

You can always skip the filter for now, and go barebottom (no substrate) if you want. As long as you have a heater and keep up with the water changes, you can go filterless. Biggest things you need are the heater, a few hiding spots and your light if desired. :) Oh, you'll want to get a thermometer too to monitor water temperature.

· Registered
388 Posts
if i went unfilterd what would my water change schedule have to be like, also are there any other ways to save money?
One 50% and one 100% change a week is bare minimum, whether you have a filter or not.

You could always get one of these kits, that has a light. (3 gallon)

Tetra Crescent Desktop Aquarium Kits at PETCO

Should come with a light and filter. You just need to get water conditioner, the heater, food and your decorations. That would save you some money. (maybe plastic canvas or something to make a cover with if it doesn't come with one. Plastic canvas is a nice cheap option you can cut to size for a cover.)

· Registered
388 Posts
Most lights I've seen run around 15 bucks at the cheapest. As mentioned previously, you might be able to find a desk lamp of some sort to use.

Have you looked around on ebay? Theres lots of different type of clip on lamps out there.

· Registered
870 Posts
Depending on plant type they require different lighting. As a beginner go find Java Fern or Java Moss as they do fine with low light and are also hardy.

As a lighting solution on your 2.5 gallon. Get a glass top and pick up one of these from Walmart. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lights-of-America-24-Fluorescent-Grow-Light-Fixture/16879945

That link is a 24 inch flourescent grow light fixture but they also sell 13 inch ones which is a perfect length for your 2.5 gallon. Lay this fixture on top of the glass hood. Java Fern or Moss will fluorish with this setup, just give them 10+ hours of light a day.

Am a big fan of Java Moss, http://www.bettatalk.com/java_moss.htm

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Depending on plant type they require different lighting. As a beginner go find Java Fern or Java Moss as they do fine with low light and are also hardy.

As a lighting solution on your 2.5 gallon. Get a glass top and pick up one of these from Walmart. Walmart.com: Lights of America 24" Fluorescent Grow Light Fixture: Decor

That link is a 24 inch flourescent grow light fixture but they also sell 13 inch ones which is a perfect length for your 2.5 gallon. Lay this fixture on top of the glass hood. Java Fern or Moss will fluorish with this setup, just give them 10+ hours of light a day.

Am a big fan of Java Moss, java moss
could i make a java moss bedding?

· Reference Team
7,846 Posts
just get yourself a desktop light that stands on the side and hangs over and just add a fluorescent bulb. There are some decent desktop lights at walmart for under 10 bucks.
Bingo!

I just posted this advise on another thread. Plus you can reposition your light to get interesting photos or to concentrate on one part of your tank for growing stuff.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.