Betta Fish Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Good job, Mo! :D Why isn't this stickied?

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks. Most likely because of the incorrect information when it was first made. but hopefully it will be stickied as there are still constant answers about betta compatibility with fish such as neons

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Thanks Mo! I agree that this should be stickied.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Also a nice fish i found that does good with bettas are dojo loaches Dojo Loach, Weather Loach, Chinese Weatherfish, Oriental Weatherfish, Japanese Weatherfish, Dojo, Amur, Gold Dojo Loach, Misgurnus anguillicaudatus
Dojo loach-------30gal tank--- and atleast 2 but 3 or more is better
I realy like them with sorority tanks
They are really neat, but dojo loach (also called weather loach) are actually a poor tankmate for betta. They will grow around a foot long, need 50+ gal tanks, and don't thrive in tropical tanks. Keeping them at temperatures above 75F will shorten their lifespan. Not to mention a fully-grown dojo could easily eat a betta. DojoLoach (M. anguillicaudatus) at Loachesonline.com and WeatherLoach (M. anguillicaudatus) at SeriouslyFish.com

If you want a serpentine loach to be kept with betta, try going for a loach of the Pangio genus. Just make sure they are kept in groups of 6 or more and have lots of hiding spaces.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have owned dojo loaches for 5+ years and not one has ever got near a foot long, top i have seen is 6 inches and he has been liveing in a 35gal tank for about 4 and a half years, and never once tryed to eat anyfish. Some of the fish i have had them with were fry from guppies, swordtailes.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hey won't get to a foot long due to the limited amount of room. There growth harmonies would build up in the water and at a certain level. They stop growing on the outside an become stunted while there internal organs keep growing resulting in long term deformation

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Mo is right. The reason your dojos aren't growing as large as they should be is due to poor living conditions and bad diet. If you are going to keep a coldwater fish in tropical temperatures, you need to up their food intake or else they will starve to death. Fish metabolisms are regulated by the temperature. A coldwater fish living at tropical temperatures will need to eat more to maintain a healthy body weight.

Dojo loaches are raised for food, I hear. o_O
Posted via Mobile Device
They are a food fish in Asian because they get so big and taste like eels (mmmm unagi nigiri). They are also invasive in the cooler areas of the US and are illegal to keep in some states (not the southern states because they are not a tropical fish). I love the eely look, but the dojos I had with my goldfish took a liking to the goldfish's slime coats. I had to say good bye to them, but they went to another good aquarist.

·
Registered
449 Posts
So I will probably already know the answer to this question. But I have a 6 gal heavily planted Marineland Eclipse tank. It is cycling now, but when it is done, I would love to add a few tank mates. Would it be only shrimp or snails I can add? You have this fish ( Rasbora Brigittae) listed as 5 gal. Is that true?

I was planning on shrimp, bt the idea of fish is sooo inticing. I wish here was fish I could keep in the 6 gal.

·
Registered
449 Posts
not sure about him, for a whiel we was super passive, not evne flaring at himself in the mirror, but lately he has been flaring. Thoguh I dont think my tank is a long.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I don't think it is a good idea to keep a betta with other fish in anything less than a 10 gallon. In a regular 6 gallon tank there just isn't enough room for everyone to escape. The 6 gal long that Mo is referring to is the Petco Bookshelf aquarium. Length matters a lot for fish because they swim side to side more than up and down.

Now about the Rasboras brigittae (sometimes called mosquito rasbora). It is indeed a micro species that has the potential to live in a 5 gallon tank, but they are a very sensitive fish. They are not a good choice for a beginner. Especially because the smaller the tank the more apt it is to have wild parameter fluctuations which kill sensitive species such as this.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thats what I thought, just thought I should ask. i will stick to shrimp then. Maybe some day I will get a bigger tank with other fish in it.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts